mv and other ubuntu ccommands don't work

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

mv and other ubuntu ccommands don't work

Postby abooks » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:08 am

I'm trying to move a large file to the sd and terminal doesn't recognize the command. I'm unclear on changing directories, and what address I would use for the sd card. Are there tricks to getting the XO terminal to understand standard Ubuntu commands? Some seem to work fine.
abooks

Re: mv and other ubuntu ccommands don't work

Postby davewa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 pm

The XO uses the Fedora (Red Hat) linux distro, not Ubuntu. Your mileage will vary.
davewa

Postby ektoric » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Could you comment on which "standard commands" you are trying to use? Both ubuntu and fedora are pretty similarly linux, the main difference being package management which does not come into play in this discussion.

• 'mv' is a pretty "standard" *nix command
  • 'cd' is a pretty "standard" *nix command
  • Both fedora and ubuntu's HAL will mount your SD to /media/<your_sd's_vol_label>
ektoric
Support Team

Postby abooks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:10 am

I apologize for writing Ubuntu when I meant Linux. . .I've since discovered that if you're in root, they seem to work. I ran across this huge file that says -rw-rw-r--lolpc olpc then firefox-2.0.0.12.tar.gz, and thought if that's firefox, I should move it from the 1G memory to the 2G SD. Then I thought maybe this is just the download, and that the firefox I use is scattered among a bunch of lib files and stuff, in which case I could just rm it. There is a reference to what I presume is the SD address, which looks like /dev/mmcblk0P1 on /media/3561-6530.

Other questions: when downloading, how to make sure download ends up in SD. I downloaded something that ended up in the directory, but didn't show up in the journal. Is that because I downloaded it in firefox?

How is this forum different from the OLPC news forum (there seem to be a lot of them)?

Does *nix refer to various linux programs?

If I wanted to look up code for the XO, should I look in Fedora literature, Linux literature, or Sugar literature?

Can or should you move whole directories to the SD drive? Will they still work?

I got a developer key thinking it would give me automatic access to things (and allow me to use firefox by disabling security). I still have to "become root" to use the linux commands (and I thought "bash" meant "error". . .but "bash-3.2#" means I'm in root)

In answer to your question, the "man" command doesn't seem to be found, and that might be helpful to a n00b like me.

Thanks for your feedback.
abooks

Postby Freemor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 am

abooks wrote:I apologize for writing Ubuntu when I meant Linux. . .I've since discovered that if you're in root, they seem to work. I ran across this huge file that says -rw-rw-r--lolpc olpc then firefox-2.0.0.12.tar.gz, and thought if that's firefox,

The .tar.gz would be the archive from which firefox was installed. Not the file used to run.

Other questions: when downloading, how to make sure download ends up in SD. I downloaded something that ended up in the directory, but didn't show up in the journal. Is that because I downloaded it in firefox?

Yes, the journal is a strange animal and not just the regular file system. The file you downloaded to the sd card will not show up in the main journal but you should have icon indicating that the external storage is attached at the bottom of the journal nd clicking on that should show you the contents of the storage device.

if you are using firefox for downloading simple tell it to save to downloads in /media/<your sd card> to get things to save to the sd card. if you're using the browse activity you need to download it to the journal and then drag it to the icon for the SD card (at bottom of the journal if the card is properly detected)

How is this forum different from the OLPC news forum (there seem to be a lot of them)?

Othoers here may be better able to answer this then I. I am on both as the "news forum" seems to be more involved with XO hacking and this one seems to be more general XO.

Does *nix refer to various linux programs?

*nix refers to any of the Unix like operating systems so, linux, unix, bsd, etc

If I wanted to look up code for the XO, should I look in Fedora literature, Linux literature,
or Sugar literature?

Sugar literature for Activities, Fedora/Linux literature for most of the stuff below Sugar (kernel, shell, gtk+, package management, etc)

Can or should you move whole directories to the SD drive? Will they still work?

It is possible to move your enite home directory to n SD card/thumbdrive. it takes a bit of fiddling about (have to format the card to ext3, have to move the entire contents of home directory over preserving the proper links and permissions, have to alter /etc/fstab so the SD card mounts the /home directory) there is a tutorial on doing it over on the OLPC news forum (I just don't have the time to track it down). If you have a larger SD card 2 GB and up you can download one of the EXT3 devel images and run completely from the SD card (which is what I do to save wear and tear on the internal NAND)

I got a developer key thinking it would give me automatic access to things (and allow me to use firefox by disabling security). I still have to "become root" to use the linux commands (and I thought "bash" meant "error". . .but "bash-3.2#" means I'm in root)

The developer key lets you access the firmware, and run unsigned operating system images. For example now that you have the key you could run Teapots ubuntu linux for the XO, or DebXO without the key you could not. Once you are root you can access anything. if you want to install things other then sugar activities check out the "yum" command. be careful tho as a lot of things don't play nice with sugar.

In answer to your question, the "man" command doesn't seem to be found, and that might be helpful to a n00b like me.

Due to the limited space on the system the Devels decided not to include the man command and associated manpages. (they can take up a lot of space). you can always google: +command +manpage (i.e. +yum +manpage) as most manpages are on the web.

Thanks for your feedback.

You're welcome,
Freemor
Freemor

Return to General Questions