No cursor in Terminal

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

No cursor in Terminal

Postby sivyers » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Forgive my idiocy; I was trying to follow dual-boot Xubuntu instructions and screwed everything. Now I'd like to start afresh, get rid (temporarily) of my developer key, reflash, etc. I have reflashed the machine before, so I at least know how to do that; for some reason the XO is not complying this time.

I suspect the problem occurred when I misunderstood instructions and tried to modify /boot/olpc.fth. Now the system fails at startup, saying "can't open boot device". The only way to get into Sugar is to hold down the "O" game key (I also tried "[square]", but that freezes halfway through the circle of dots).

I'd like to fix the olpc.fth file, but Terminal doesn't let me do anything. When I run that activity, the Terminal window opens, but instead of "Hello, children of the world!" and a command line I get white space where all that should be.

I'd really like to completely wipe out everything and start anew, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
sivyers

Re: No cursor in Terminal

Postby ncarrol » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Try fresh reflash using a USB drive:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update

The download to a USB drive can be made with a PC or Mac.

This should depend only on the firmware and not any modifications to the linux files.

Not all USB's are equal and some may give "the can't find boot device". I had a problem of a drive that would boot with the firmware in build 650 but not with 702 (?). Another would boot with both builds. The difference was the format type : type 6 or type e. The type e worked with both builds.
ncarrol

Postby sivyers » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:25 pm

I tried it with a different .img file, and it worked fine (off an SD card; the USB I tried first gave me a "bash" error).

Thanks!
sivyers

Postby rogerwillson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:55 am

i am wondering that why you can't? It's completely work with me.
Mind Games
rogerwillson

Return to General Questions