Left Half of the LCD is Blank on Startup

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Left Half of the LCD is Blank on Startup

Postby chickendizzle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:00 pm

When I boot hte machine it has the left side of the LCD blank. If I open and close it and rotate the lcd it may show the whole screen and be normal. If I handle the top left of the screen like I may pick it up using part of that area it will become garbled and have many lines on it and then go back to normal. The problem isnt always there, only sometime. I took the lcd out to see if I could find any problems but couldnt see anything right away.

What might be causing this?
chickendizzle

Re: Left Half of the LCD is Blank on Startup

Postby ncarrol » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Your symptoms suggests a poor mechanical connection or crack in connection path to or at the display (other than on display failure).

A service repair step would be to try replacing the display, but you do not have a second display -- right ?

The prime suspect for a poor mechanical connection is the connector on the main board where the display ribbon cable plugs in. Reseating the cable is a reasonable first step to try. This is relatively easy. Remove the front bezel by by removing the side green strips. Release display by removing its 4 cushioned screw. See the the wiki under article name Category: hardware for details on these disassembly steps if you are comfortable with hardware. Be careful with the connector - it is a flip lever type release and easily broken (and cannot be repaired).
ncarrol

Return to General Questions