Backing up the Developer Key

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Backing up the Developer Key

Postby swifturtle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi All, Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I'm trying to copy the develop.sig file from /security to my usb drive(cp /security/develop.sig /media/"drivename) and I am pretty sure I am logged in as root
(su from the terminal, CTRL-ALT-F1 then ENTER). I noticed that in /security the develop.sig file permissions are 644, the owner is root and the group is root. When I tried to copy the file to my thumb drive, the permissions changed to 777, the owner changed to OLPC and the group remained root. I attempted again using cp -p but it said that it was unable to maintain file attributes. When I tried to chmod the permissions or chown the owner of the copied file it said I didn't have permission to do so.

QUESTION: How do I back up the develop.sig file and maintain the permissions/ownership and does it even matter?
swifturtle

Re: Backing up the Developer Key

Postby ektoric » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:36 am

What is your USB formatted as? If it's formatted as FAT32, the FAT* filesystems do not support multi-user file attributes. So, file "ownership" will be what the filesytem is mounted as.

But you are correct, it actually doesn't matter. The firmware checks the existence of the file, and reads it as "root".
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Backing up the Developer Key

Postby swifturtle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks ektoric, that was exactly the problem.
swifturtle

Return to General Questions