Lap top will not boot up!

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Lap top will not boot up!

Postby islandA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 am

Help!
Laptop will turn on
battery light is green, power button is green (lit) NOTHING! computer is quiet and blank.
What now?
islandA

Re: Lap top will not boot up!

Postby ncarrol » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 am

A couple of things to try, one hardware and one software.

Hardware: try removing the battery for 30 seconds and replacing. There are anecdotal cases where this resets the electronic controller that has unhung.

Software: This is most likely the case. There many examples where the software became corrupted.
Try booting while holding down the "O" game key (under the right speaker). This will try booting from the alternate image (will not exist if you have never upgraded or reload software).

The simplest after this is to reinstall the software -- very easy. You will of course loose all your existing data and addons. See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update.

You use a PC or Mac on the internet to download a couple of files ( just clicks on two links and 1/2 hour) to a USB thumb (flash) drive. Put the the drive in the XO and hold down all four game keys (under right speaker) while powering on.

Finally, check out the Community repair sites on the wiki.
ncarrol

Postby islandA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Thank you. I have read deep into earlier post about this and am still uncertain about what problem I have.
I have done what you recommended, but still nothing. I have contacted a repair site.
Thanks for the help.
islandA

Postby whiteghost » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:50 am

I have the same problem can you please tell me the repair site you contacted?
Here is what mine does and I tried to boot with the USB drive and everything.

I had put my laptop away for a couple of months. Since I was waiting for my son to get a little older to use it. I got it back out and now it does not work. I bought it Nov.of 2007. When I first tried to use it yesterday I saw that the battery was completely dead. But it would not boot with the power cable plugged in either. I plugged in in and let it charge for about 3 hours and the light went from amber to green on the battery light LED so I thought it would work now. But it still does not work. I power it on and I see the power LED light turn green and that is it nothing happens. Even the battery light LED is not lit up. When I plug in the power cable the battery light LED is green but nothing happens. Can some one give me a hand with this.

Thanks, Ray

whiteghostmws@gmail.com
whiteghost

Postby olpc-novice-help » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:08 am

I have this same problem. Can anyone point us in an other direction?
olpc-novice-help

Postby ncarrol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:06 am

Look at this other thread from the Hardware section:

http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewtopic.php?f=1324&t=171473

Trying possible software solution is generally easier .

There have been several posts on various forums about the same symptoms and suggesting a common problem. Hope someone posts a found fix. Currently, the Real Time Clock battery seems to be evolving as the culprit (leaking or corroding watch type battery). That is all I have for now.
ncarrol

Postby msinpm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Sorry to be so late to this forum. Has any of this been resolved? I bought a couple of these several years ago and am giving the one I kept to a non profit. I turned it on before giving it to them ...and NOTHING happens. Did anyone in this forum get their issue resolved? I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable about the donation(s) I have made to OLPC. Thank you
msinpm

Postby ncarrol » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:32 pm

This problem is well characterized now.

If the XO has not been used for a couple of years, the Real Time Clock (RTC) battery has discharged (watch type battery on main board). It can be recharged by leaving the XO powered on for a couple of hours (even though there is no display). The time still remains at 0, which will prevent booting until a real time is set.

Unfortunately, a firmware bug in the original software prevents simple setting of the clock by software commands. The time must be set via a communication link to an internal serial port (3 volt version).
This requires a second computer (XO or PC) and an adapter with cables (usually a USB to serial adapter). If you have the original software (build 650) there is another bug that showed up as the date rolled over to 2011 : the keyboard will freeze. So, the the software must then be updated to the latest software (10.1.3) .

Various links to OLPC wiki references are on : http://xoshare.org/mi

You can borrow the adapter to make the repair or have the repair done at a repair center (low cost).
The Mid-Michigan XO Laptop Lending Library is one source for either: http://xoshare.org/mixo

The above contact will restore your confidence that your donation was a worthwhile contribution.

The repair process could be learning lesson for the recipient. Indeed, many of the nonprofits accepting XO's know of the issue and know how to make the repairs and therefore would welcome your donation as is.
ncarrol

Postby msinpm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 am

Thank you for your response. I was discouraged because it seemed sloppy that there would be so many problems with so many of the computers. This is often a reflection of a poorly managed organization (pushing something out to meet a deadline but failing to do adequate testing; which causes more problems than missing the deadline but doing it properly). I enjoy donating money but with so much need, of course, I want the money to go to places that will spend it efficiently and effectively. The response to my early emails (to OLPC) were also indicative of a team of people, either overwhelmed or grossly inadequate. In any case, I appreciate your response, I hope for the best with all of this and I will move forward as you have suggested.
msinpm

Postby ncarrol » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Look at the map of OLPC volunteers and deployments: http://olpcmap.net .

Locate in Columbus, Ohio, USA the icon for the Columbus School for Girls OLPC Service Learning Project. They have for students an academic class in repairing XO's. They then forward the XO's to nonprofits (mostly to Africa).

Good place to start if you want to donate an XO that appears to not be working.
ncarrol

Return to General Questions