Keyboard Mousepad Error On Install

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Keyboard Mousepad Error On Install

Postby safety » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 am

This is driving me crazy. I had one of the first OLPC and it stopped connecting to my wireless, so i decided to do an update on the software. I have downloaded the current stable release (and now a few others), and everything went fine. As soon as it reboots it goes to a screen that is blank and says NAME, with the cursor showing. MY KEYBOARD doesn't type and the MOUSEPAD doesn't move the cursor.

I have reinstalled over and over, clean, tried all the stable releases, but no keyboard or mouse function?

Any ideas? Am I missing some file that needed to be installed on boot? I have done all the fs and img files for 802, ect.

Any input is appreciated. THANKS!
safety

Re: Keyboard Mousepad Error On Install

Postby safety » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 am

just FYI, I am talking about the mousepad and keyboard that is part of the olpc laptop, nothing external here.
safety

Postby ektoric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Have you considered attempting a http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update ?
ektoric
Support Team

Postby msandro » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:23 am

I am having the exact same problem. Did you ever fix this problem?
msandro

Postby melshuny » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 am

My keyboard and touchpad simply quit. I can use an external mouse to get into the support areas, but so far have not seen this problem addressed anywhere. I can't find anything about the touchpad period.( I did find out how to delete files in the journal!) This original XO has been pampered....always inside...always charged....only used by an adult!! I just can't figure out what to do. Is there ANYBODY out there who has any suggestions other than throwing it out the window:) AND....how does one "clean" the hard drive? How do you defrag, etc. How do you get rid of temporary files and cookies? ARRRGH.....I love my XO and would love to have it operational. HELP! I'd love to upgrade it, but am afraid I'll only make it worse! :0
melshuny

Postby ektoric » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Have a peek at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support_FAQ specifically
How do I test my keyboard for sticky/broken keys?
The Cheat Code to test the keyboard is hold the "rocker left" while powering on.

Also per Stuck keys, you can enter the keyboard test from the firmware "ok" prompt. There you can test to see if at least the firmware is seeing your key presses. If so, then you are in much better shape!

Good luck!
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

p.s. There is no defragging necessary, as this isn't a hard drive but flash. The usage patterns are completely different. See this for a tiny commentary about flash usage. :)
ektoric
Support Team

Postby melshuny » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:25 am

Thank you so much. I will try this tomorrow and let you know what happens!!! If the keys were stuck though, would they all stick at once? And what are the odds that the touchpad and keys would go bad at the same time?
melshuny

Postby ektoric » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I also do not think that your experiencing "stuck keys", but that the information that may help determine what's wrong with your XO may be on those pages that happen to talk about stuck keys.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ncarrol » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 pm

I have been working on several XO's that have not been used for a couple of years.
Initially, they did not respond to mousepad or keyboard, but would work with external keyboards and mice.

The solution was to exercise the mousepad and keyboard using the hardware diagnotics (left rocker switch on power on) until there were no more mousepad failure in tests ( frequency of errors decreased over several hours). Eventually, errors ceased and the mousepad and keyboard begain working. On one, I did reseat the mousepad cable connector at motherboard -- not sure it was ncessary.

No explanation -- just worked eventially for all. A sticking key may be a factor sometimes.

A clean install is a must to eliminate the possibility of corrupted files.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

SAVE that XO. If the hardware tests (left rocker switch on power up) show the mousepad and keyboard pass and the apparent failure is recent, there may be a fix. Please standby, it is being investigated.

My earlier comments apply to XO' s that have not been used for a couple of years.
ncarrol

Postby Greg Buchholz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:17 pm

OK, it seems like I just started having the same issue Melshuny above. My XO had been working fine for almost two years now, and suddenly the keyboard and mouse stopped working. When I do the keyboard diagnostics, by either using the-power-on-while-holding-down-the-left-arrow-trick, or by typing test keyboard at the OpenFirmware prompt, all the keys work correctly. My XO is apparently an OLPC C2 with OpenFirmware CL1 Q2D07 Q2D. Could this be a year 2011 problem? This problem occurs when I boot either Sugar, or Ubuntu off of a SD card, so I don't think it is a software problem. Anyone have further thoughts on what sorts of diagnostics I could run to track down the source of the problem? Is there a way to set the clock back to 2010 from the open firmware prompt?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Buchholz

Postby sandy|XO » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 am

Greg,

If your problems started in 2011 and you had never updated the firmware, you may have one of these rollover 2011 cases. The fix so far is to go back to a 2010 date and time using an external USB keyboard via the commands suggested in this unrelated fix clock web pages, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Fix_Clock under set time/date section. Then update the firmware first thing.

Reply here if you have success or if you are still stuck.

Sandy
sandy|XO

Re: Keyboard Mousepad Not Working

Postby Greg Buchholz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks for the tips. I was able to change the date and time from the Openfirmware prompt, but unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.
Greg Buchholz

Postby sandy|XO » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Greg,

Were you able to update your firmware?

Here is a fix that appears to work on the rollover to 2011 loss of keyboard and mouse:

XO-1s running Builds 650, 653 and 656 when rebooted in 2011:

- download http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/q2d14/bootfw.zip (1.0 MB)
- place on a USB memory stick, in a folder/directory named "boot":
/boot/bootfw.zip
- boot your XO-1 with the USB stick inserted, and confirm this signed
firmware upgrades successfully, from Q2D06 or Q2D07 to Q2D14 (2 reboots
might be required)
- remove all power from your XO for 30sec (battery AND power cord)

Please do report back if this fix works for your issue.

Sandy
sandy|XO

Next

Return to General Questions