Keyboard Mousepad Error On Install

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Re: Keyboard Mousepad Error

Postby Greg_Buchholz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Updating the firmware fixed my problem. Thanks for all the help. My XO is my main computer, so it is good to get it up and running again. I was going to be sad if I had to replace it. Thanks again.

Greg
Greg_Buchholz

Re: Keyboard Mousepad Error On Install

Postby tkutcher » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 am

I recently took our laptop out of the closet after a recent move and have the same issue with the mouse. It is frozen in the middle of the screen.

We updated the firmware and ran the diagnostic on the boot, there is still an error on the mousepad self check.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed? I'

Todd
tkutcher

Postby ncarrol » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:50 pm

But, does the mousepad work?
I notice when I was trying to figure out this problem after roll over to 2011 that the hardware test would fail the first time after a normal boot. Then it would pass on the second try. Also if I interrupted any of the preceding tests, it sometimes gave a "failed" message.
Also, there may be some "burn in" time after a long storage-- exercise the mousepad for 5 or 10 minutes (in hardware test) and retry tests (left rocker switch on power on).

Eventially, the errors just went away in my case (several XO's).

The bottom line is : does the mousepad work ?
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 pm

The keyboard freeze problem is specific to the year 2011. It will not occur in 2012 or later.

If you had an XO with the keyboard freeze in 2011, then simply remove the AC and battery for a few seconds. The keyboard will work on the next boot in 2012.
ncarrol

Postby cv[p0we » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:05 am

I have a OLPC whose camera I'd like to disable. Is there any way to disable it and add a password lock to re-enable it? The person who is getting it has a history of recording inappropriate things (Jackass videos...), but otherwise would benefit a lot from having a laptop.

--------------------------------

Sac Longchamp Pas Cher
cv[p0we

Postby ncarrol » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Same question was asked here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=184893&sid=481d950fbdedbf4d8a87c5371c7f2a03#p631647

in july 2011 with one answer (general question) . Guess the answer was not sufficient ?

Another way is to remove the "Record" activity, which can be re-downloaded from sugarlabs.org as needed. ( Home page > listing display (top right) >remove "Record" > reselect icon display (circle with dot in upper right) ).

Assumes new user does not know of existence of Record Activity and how to download it.

You can always download the Record Activity to a USB drive (using PC and renaming file to removing any "zip" extension on the name) and it will be at hand for reloading the activity from the drive by clicking on the file in Journal.
ncarrol

Previous

Return to General Questions