Cannot boot past the first dot of the loading clock

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Cannot boot past the first dot of the loading clock

Postby nbs2 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:11 pm

I have a 2008 G1G1 that was functioning normally until last week when it suddenly would no longer boot up. The system freezes after displaying, as noted in the thread title, the first dot of the loading clock. The all-mighty power of Google yielded no success.

I did a clean re-install of 8.2.1 with no change in the situation, and am currently downloading the 10.1.2 img to see if that might go better.
nbs2

Re: Cannot boot past the first dot of the loading clock

Postby ncarrol » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:11 pm

What do the hardware tests tell you (hold down left rocker switch down while powering up) ? Rocker switch is under left speaker.

Does it boot from alternate boot (for 8.2 hold down "O" game key while powering up ) ? Game keys are under right speaker. The "O" gives help options for 10.1 .

Note that these are OFW routines, which appears to be working since you get to "first dot in clock".
ncarrol

Postby nbs2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:15 pm

ncarrol wrote:What do the hardware tests tell you (hold down left rocker switch down while powering up) ? Rocker switch is under left speaker.

All tests reported a nice green "Okay", after which the system informed me that the tests were complete and the system powered off.

Booting up the machine as normal the next time gave me a screen my-not-familiar-with-Linux-self is not familiar with, presenting an error that makes me nervous:

[ 4.943021] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Rebooting again opened with a notice that it was updating my firmware. And then kernel panicking again:

[ 3.135798] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

A last booting effort brings me back to the square one with the loading clock.

Does it boot from alternate boot (for 8.2 hold down "O" game key while powering up ) ? Game keys are under right speaker. The "O" gives help options for 10.1 .

I'm a bit confused since you suggest that under 10.1, I should be getting a help file instead of an alternate boot attempt. However, the thought is moot as I end up with a boot failure error.
nbs2

Postby ncarrol » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Did google search on "linux kernel panic" which expanded to choice to "not syncing - attempted to kill init", which means the initial process "init" itself failed.

Top two causes listed are memory failure and corrupted software. You have memtest to exercise the memory and clean install to address the software (via USB drive download on another computer). Check that you got a good download of image on USB by running md5sum command on the downloaded image and comparing to md5sum file on the download site. I have on a rare occasion got a bad download.

best --- nc
ncarrol

Return to General Questions