updating from 656

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

updating from 656

Postby neilneil » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Hello

I recently dusted off my old xo 1 (I think it's an xo 1, not sure how to tell exactly) and have been trying to update it to the latest build to see what's new. I currently live in a rural area with no internet connection, and it would be great to be able to carry it on a bike to town instead of my regular (heavy) laptop.

After many many hours of trying to do this by myself, I finally give up and politely request help...

I checked my version - it's 656.

I tried updating using the commands sudo olpc-update... etc but it said sudo: command not recognised.

I went into root and tried, but still no luck

I also tried it without the sudo and it said "olpc-update: command not recognised" (I just followed all the official instructions until there were no more to try.)

I tried the offline method using a usb stick, but it didn't work.

Could somebody help? I would really appreciate it.

Another thing I have is that if I open record I get a "your disk is full" message. I deleted everything from the journal, now I have 85% free, but record still says full disk.

I wanted to install xo-get but the instructions on the official page didn't work for me (probably my fault.) I was going to use it to try to uninstall some activities to free up memory. If anyone can help with that problem too, I would really appreciate it.

That's it. Thanks in advance!
neilneil

Re: updating from 656

Postby ektoric » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Greetings!

656 is indeed a very old build. My memory is very unreliable that far back, but I believe there was once some builds that did not have the "sudo" command. This was not really an issue, since when you needed to do something as root, you could just log in as root:
Code: Select all
# su -

You could then run commands as root, such as "olpc-update".

But then we get into the second issue. "olpc-update" was introduced in a later build. But even if you had it, it wouldn't help you because you said you have no internet connection. This poses a major problem as "olpc-update" downloads the updates.

Your best (only?) option is the update using the USB drive offline.

I tried the offline method using a usb stick, but it didn't work.

Alas, if you tried it and it didn't work, then that would indeed pose some real problems.

Fortunately, this part of your description is very sparse. Only a one line "but it didn't work". Perhaps if we could expand on this, we could find out what part of it didn't work, why it didn't work, and how to get it to work!

First off, you are using a very old release. In order to bring it up to date, you will need to do this in a 2 step process:

Step 1: Update using the No Fail Update up to 8.2.1 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update
After you update to 8.2.1, you can then bring it up to the latest.

Step 2: Update to 10.1.3 using "Simple Offline Update" http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes ... ine_Update

Please give this a try and tell us how it goes.

Note: Since you do not have net connection at home, the first thought is probably to download all the files for both versions while you can, then bring it home to do it at your leisure. This could be a good idea. But if you do, remember to ONLY have 1 set of files on the USB stick at a time. Move versions on or off the drive depending on which one you are updating, but double check to not have both versions on the drive at the same time.

Finally, if you are finding that you are using the device and running out of memory a lot, consider a little "advanced" trick. You can purchase a 8 or 16gb SDHC card (common for cameras these days), and insert it into XO, then install onto that and boot and run from the SDHC card. This should increase your available space by a lot!
* http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Secure_Digital_card
* http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes ... xternal_SD
Unfortunately, as mentioned above, this topic is a little advanced, and assumes you are familiar with the tools. Don't try this if you don't feel comfortable!
ektoric
Support Team

Postby neilneil » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Ektoric

Thanks very much for getting back to me. Your info was exactly what I needed to know!
I followed your step 1 instructions below, and it's worked. Unfortunately I still can't use the olpc-update command from build 802 (although I'm in town with my xo and have access to internet) because for some reason I can't now connect to the wireless point, although I could with 656. Anyway, I will try the usb method to get up to the latest build. If I have problems, I'll be back!

I would really like to use the sdhc flashcard and I will try one day when I get hold of one. If I can't work it out myself, I'll be back (again!)

Thanks (again!) :)
neilneil

Postby ncarrol » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:21 pm

ektoric,

Just clarifying that you can jump from 650 (and 656) to 10.1.3 with the USB clean install. Indeed, if using olpc-update, stepping throught 8.2 appears to be necessary.

Do not know why neilneil failed on USB update, except that some USB drives just don't seem to work for the update (but will work for olpcofw update from /boot directory).

neilneil,

If you are still having USB update problems, check out Loan Library at http://xoshare.org/mixo .
They will loan (via mail) tested USB drive with software version 10.1.3 on it.

See: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_free ... os_650-656

for discussion of one step process of updating from 650 to 10.1.3 (there are some quirks).
ncarrol

Postby neilneil » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 am

Hi

I posted a reply yesterday but must have hit preview and not submit.

Ectoric, the info you gave me was what I didn't know and really needed to know. Thanks very much for that. I followed your step 2 and updated to 8.2.1 via usb and then to the latest build using olpc-update. Brilliant!

Thanks ncarrol too for replying. Don't know why my usb didn't work for the latest build but did for 8.2.1. I tried and failed several times.
neilneil

Postby ektoric » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Glad we were able to help you out! I personally quite enjoy the new refresh :)
ektoric
Support Team

Return to General Questions