power on - blank screen

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

power on - blank screen

Postby agt_erle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I bought one of these things about four years ago and my girl is finally old enough to use it now. I plugged the thing in, pressed the power button and all I get is a blank screen. What to do?
agt_erle

Re: power on - blank screen

Postby ektoric » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:28 pm

There was a batch of G1G1 laptops that went out with Q2D06 firmware, and was suggested to immediately update to Q2D07 firmware. Try powering on the laptop while the wall charger remains plugged in. Does your symptom match any of the described?
ektoric
Support Team

Re: power on - blank screen

Postby ncarrol » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:37 pm

The link by ektoric aptly provides the solution.

However, the current state of affairs has advanced.
The cause of the current users having the problem is that the Clock battery has discharged while setting on the shelf. This brings into play the Q2D06 problem since the time is 0 (not initialized).

The solution is to set the time via the internal serial port and load the latest software (10.1.3 or later). The clock battery is a rechargeable type and recharges when the XO is powered on (even though it does not boot). It takes about 4 hours to fully charge a fully discharged clock battery.

A USB to serial adapter for setting the time is available from ilovemyxo.com for $ 2.00 (plus shipping).

So, the solution is get the adapter, do some minor disassembly, set the time using the adapter and a PC computer as a communication terminal, and install the the latest software. If you are up to this, then there are detailed steps (and link to Anna's disassembly video) at http://xoshare.org/mi , which provides key links to OLPC wiki references.

You can also contact one of the repair centers for repairs. The Mid-Michigan center may also loan you the adapter (with drivers for PC) and USB flash drive with the latest software (for clean install).

Choose your poison :) .
ncarrol

Return to General Questions