Q.Connec non-OLPC dev2te OLPC mesh & inst OLPC sw(-os)on ltp

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Q.Connec non-OLPC dev2te OLPC mesh & inst OLPC sw(-os)on ltp

Postby we6jbo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Connecting non-OLPC devices to the OLPC mesh network and installing OLPC software minus Operating System on non-OLPC laptop.

I have an ASUS EEEPC running Ubuntu. I'd like to keep the operating system intact but also install software that comes on OLPC laptops such as 'chat' and 'activity' onto the system. Is there a way to do this? Do the programs come as .deb packages or a different package format or can they be compiled from scratch? Also; is there a way to install the OLPC GUI itself (like you can with Gnome or KDE)?

The second question I have is I have two devices, a Nexus One Android powered smart phone and an ASUS EEEPC. Is there a way to connect these devices to the OLPC mesh network so that they act just like a OLPC laptop.

Thanks,

Jeremiah O'Neal
http://www.linkedin.com/in/we6jbo
we6jbo

Re: Q.Connec non-OLPC dev2te OLPC mesh & inst OLPC sw(-os)on ltp

Postby ncarrol » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:54 pm

The short answer is Sugar-on-a-Stick (SoaS)at sugarlabs.org. Same software (almost) but runs entirely from USB drive ( or CD with no writing to CD). Otherwise Sugar software is available for Linux machine or lookup Sugar and jhbuild on wiki (http://wiki.laptop.org or http://wiki.sugarlabs.org).

The original mesh protocol for XO to XO is unique to XO-1 and has been abandoned for standard wireless protocol on XO-1.5 (XO-1 can use this second protocol).

The way to use different devices for some interconnectivity with an XO is through the jabber (mesh, communication) server (see Settings, Network, Server). Only infrequent and incomplete reports of this.
ncarrol

Postby we6jbo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:32 am

Hi,

I was able to connect to jabber.sugarlabs.org with Beem, a Android based Jabber client. The one thing I noticed is that everyones username is a hexadecimal value. I found that mine is
6c977fbee6d588324afa3d6fb1fb279df2da7c4 ... arlabs.org
based on the file I was looking at here /home/liveuser/.mission-control/accounts/accounts.cfg
My guess is that this is a md5sum of something but I don't know what. I also tried sending a IM from Beem to 6c977... and I saw the chat notification at the top of my soas client but when I clicked it to join, it loaded for awhile and then it said chat failed to start.

I'm using we6jbo@jabber.sugarlabs.org on the Beam client
we6jbo

Postby ncarrol » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:58 pm

The XO makes its logon name from its software ID. It changes each time you reload software.
XO uses PEP protocol in addition to IM to exchange information, such as nickname, between each other. The typical IM client does not do this. You can see some interaction of XO's , but typically IM client can not communicate with them -- needs more features.

Not sure about your SoaS question. There are some internet communication issues with various version / hardware. Best to just refer you to sugarlabs.org site for known issues. I suspect Chat failed since there was not an internet connection.
ncarrol

Return to General Questions