Bookmark Favorites?

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

Bookmark Favorites?

Postby paz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:54 pm

When I use the browse activity to search and view the internet with the XO, how are the favorite sites saved and accessed in the future?

I saved a site using the STAR (Bookmark) at the right of the url field at the top of the Browse screen. This action saves an iconized version of the bookmarked site in a row at the bottom of the browse window. The bookmarked sites will accumulate there and can be selected when one desires to return to the site.

I named the Activity and noted that this was saved in the Journal with the name it was given next to the Browse icon.

The bookmarked sites appear to not be available for use once the browsing session in which the were created has been terminated.

Is this the case? Intended or otherwise?

Thanks

PZ
paz

[olpc-community-support] Bookmark Favorites?

Postby chihyu at mit.edu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:26 pm

Hello PZ,

Could you please be more specific on how you renamed the bookmark?
Also, could you try the exact same steps again and see if the problem remains?

I renamed my bookmark title in the Journal view (go to Journal, click
the the bookmark, edit the title, and then click the "Go Back" arrow
on the upper left), terminated my Browse activity, and I was able to
return to the page by clicking on the renamed bookmark.

Thanks a lot!
Chih-yu

On Dec 20, 2007 11:54 AM, paz <pzelenka@gmail.com> wrote:
When I use the browse activity to search and view the internet with the XO, how are the favorite sites saved and accessed in the future?

I saved a site using the STAR (Bookmark) at the right of the url field at the top of the Browse screen. This action saves an iconized version of the bookmarked site in a row at the bottom of the browse window. The bookmarked sites will accumulate there and can be selected when one desires to return to the site.

I named the Activity and noted that this was saved in the Journal with the name it was given next to the Browse icon.

The bookmarked sites appear to not be available for use once the browsing session in which the were created has been terminated.

Is this the case? Intended or otherwise?

Thanks

PZ

chihyu at mit.edu

Postby paz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi Chih-yu

A question about your entry:

After you browsed to a web site and Bookmarked the site, and you went the the Journal to edit the name of the Browser session logged there, did you then Stop the Browser Activity and then return to the Journal and select the renamed Browser session that has the Bookmark and were then taken to that site?

Here is my story in a little more detail:

I didn't rename the bookmark, I thought I was renaminig a particular Browser Activity session.

I did this by starting the Browser Activity and in a browse session, I went to a particular Web site, e.g. http://www.laptop.org. In the Browse screen, I selected the Activity tab. In the top border, there is a field that defaults an entry of "OLPC Library". I placed the cursor in that field and entered "patBookmark".

I then selected the Browse tab and selected the STAR(Bookmark) icon which appears on the far right of the top border, right after what appears to be the url field.

An icon representing the bookmarked site appears in a row at the bottom of the Browse Activity screen. If multiple bookmarks are created during a session, they each will appear in that border. As long as the session lasts the icon bookmarks will take me to the web sites. When I Stop the Browse Activity session and then open a new session, the bookmarks are not available.

Is it possible to use the entry that appears in the Journal, e.g. "patBookmark" to open a Browser Activity? Are the Bookmarks stored within the Journal Browser entry? Better yet, are Bookmarks stored from session to session for the Browser Activity?

Thanks,

Patrick
paz

[olpc-community-support] Bookmark Favorites?

Postby chihyu at mit.edu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi Patrick,

In response to your questions:

After you browsed to a web site and Bookmarked the site, and you went the the Journal to edit the name of the Browser session logged there, did you then Stop the Browser Activity and then return to the Journal and select the renamed Browser session that has the Bookmark and were then taken to that site?

So, here is what I did:
1. Open Browse
2. Go to laptop.org
3. Click the start on the upper right corner to bookmark the website
4. Close (Stop) Browse
5. Go to Journal
6. Click on the Browse on the very top of the list
7. Click on the field right next to the Browse icon
8. Rename the session by typing in the field
9. Click "Go Back"
10. Click on the while/grey little dot on the right end of the Browse
session I just renamed
11. Browse starts again and takes me back to laptop.org

I didn't rename the bookmark, I thought I was renaminig a particular Browser Activity session.

I did this by starting the Browser Activity and in a browse session, I went to a particular Web site, e.g. http://www.laptop.org. In the Browse screen, I selected the Activity tab. In the top border, there is a field that defaults an entry of "OLPC Library". I placed the cursor in that field and entered "patBookmark".

I then selected the Browse tab and selected the STAR(Bookmark) icon which appears on the far right of the top border, right after what appears to be the url field.

I repeated the steps you did until here.

An icon with representing the bookmarked site appears in a row at the bottom of the Browse Activity screen. If multiple bookmarks are created during a session, they each will appear in that border. As long as the session lasts the icon bookmarks will take me to the lab sites. When I Stop the Browse Activity session and then open a new session, the bookmarks are not available.

If you open Browse from the taskbar, then you won't see the bookmark.
However, if you go to Journal, you will see the renamed session on the
top part of the Journal list. You can do either of the following:
1. Click on the grey/while little dot on the right end of the renamed
session; Browse will open automatically and take you back to the
bookmarked website.
2. Click on the renamed session on the browse icon or the name, and
then click on "Resume" on the upper right corner (a circle with a
square in the middle). This should take you to the bookmarked website,
too.

Is it possible to use the entry that appears in the Journal, e.g. "patBookmark" to open a Browser Activity? Are the Bookmarks stored within the Journal Browser entry? Better yet, are Bookmarks stored from session to session for the Browser Activity?

Yes, Yes, and Yes (if you don't delete it manually).
The purpose of this is for kids who only have network access at
school. The laptop would cache all the pages they browsed when they
were at school with network access, and when they go home (without
network access), they will still be able to see the content of each
webpage and finish their assignments, projects, reports, etc.

Hope this helps, and feel free to email us if you have further questions!

Cheers,
Chih-yu
chihyu at mit.edu

Postby paz » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi, Chihyu

After I posted the last entry I went back, poked around further, and found another way to bring the Journal entries back to life. I came back to amend my last post and found your graciously detailed response.

Here is what I have put together from your posting and my poking.

The Journal does log the Activity and details that are associated with an Activity session.

An Activity can be labeled in an Activity tab, a field presented in an activity or in the Journal by selecting the Browse entry and editing the field.

The Journal is the place to go to resume an Activity. This can be done in two ways.

The first is from the initial Journal screen by going to the line that has the Journal entry of interest and going to the far right of the entry to the small white circle with the rectangular gray area and clicking on it. The Activity will start up in its saved or bookmarked state.

A second way of resuming an Activity from the Journal is from the second Journal screen. You get to this screen by clicking on a Journaled Activity entry. This will present the entry in an edit screen. In the upper right hand corner there is a white circle with a black rectangle. Place the cursor over this item and the dropdown Resume menu will present itself. If you choose the Activity associated with you Journal you are entering, it will start up using the Journal entry.

In this screen, you can rename the entry. You can edit the Description and the Tags of the entry. You also can copy the entry to the clipboard or copy it to any storage devices, e.g. SD or USB, that are mounted by the system.

Thanks for your help!

Patrick
paz

Return to General Questions