A few startup questions

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

A few startup questions

Postby Kantarjiev » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Why is sshd enabled by default?

Is there a kb shortcut for "back" in the browser? I can't find one, and West doesn't work despite mention in the wiki.

Linux and sugar seem to have different ideas about timezone (/etc/timezone vs sugar-control-panel). Sugar wins, but it's confusing.

Why won't the time stay set? I have enabled ntpd and that fixes it eventually but not right after boot. I have rdate and may stuff it somewhere. But I'm concerned that the date is always wrong after a reboot...

Thanks!
Kantarjiev

Re: A few startup questions

Postby phigan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:00 pm

Kantarjiev wrote:Why is sshd enabled by default?

This is just a guess, but possibly to attempt to gain remote access to the machine should something go wrong with the console. In addition to SSH being enabled, I've seen builds that have a serial console enabled in the boot options.. even though there is no serial port :)

Is there a kb shortcut for "back" in the browser? I can't find one, and West doesn't work despite mention in the wiki.

I did not find one either. The Browse activity is very limited, from my perspective (not to say it's not great for a learning child!), and I opted to use Opera instead (without the opera-activity stuff).

Why won't the time stay set? I have enabled ntpd and that fixes it eventually but not right after boot. I have rdate and may stuff it somewhere. But I'm concerned that the date is always wrong after a reboot...

After you are sure your timezone is correct and you fix your date with ntpdate, do 'hwclock --systohc'. This will set the hardware clock to the system time. This is just the way linux does it.

Hope this helps!

- Joe
phigan
Support Team

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:39 pm

Thanks, Joe, those were useful comments.

I didn't know about the hwclock trick - I'm a BSD guy, and this is my first Linux foray...

After several tries, I managed to connect to my home WEP AP. Yay.

I was looking at sshd (and other things) to try to cut the memory load, since that seems to be a really scarce resource. Perhaps this will get better as things are more stable.

I can't find ntpdate, even to install - just rdate, which is OK, too. It would be nice to have the option to turn one of those on at boot time!

Postby phigan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 pm

Anonymous wrote:I can't find ntpdate, even to install - just rdate, which is OK, too. It would be nice to have the option to turn one of those on at boot time!

Fedora 7 (the underlying distro) has an online package manager dealie called Yum. My ntpdate is in /usr/sbin/ (which isn't in the olpc user's path), but I may have done a 'yum install ntp'. Also, you can do 'yum update' if you haven't already.

- Joe
phigan
Support Team

[olpc-community-support] A few startup questions

Postby richard at laptop.org » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:14 am

phigan wrote:

addition to SSH being enabled, I've seen builds that have a serial
console enabled in the boot options.. even though there is no serial
port :)

All builds have the serial console enabled because there _is_ a serial
port and the developers make heavy use of it.

The serial port is just not accessible for the normal user. You have to
disassemble the XO and connect to it with a small special connector and
use a 3.3V ttl -> rs232 or USB adapter.

MP machines still have the male connector loaded on the PCB so that
developers (and interested hackers) can use it. Sometime in the future
we may quit loading the connector as a cost savings.

--
Richard Smith <richard@laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child
richard at laptop.org

Postby Kantarjiev » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:36 am

Aha! I didn't try /usr/bin/. Awesome.

How can I (permanently) change the name of the machine that I see in the bash prompt? 'hostname' only lasts till the next reboot.

And is there a keyboard shortcut (or other tool) to paste into the Terminal activity?
Kantarjiev

Return to General Questions