Welcome!

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Welcome!

Postby starfish » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks for joining olpchelp.org! Reply to this thread and say "Hello!".

The forums were created as a place to discuss the many different aspects of the OLPC project. We now have more topics to appeal to students, teachers and people who will have to support the OLPC when it finally gets deployed.

Thanks for visiting, and please visit often.
starfish

Hello OLPC world!

Postby patrickkayton » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:53 am

Hello everyone

My name is Patrick Kayton. I am part of a team from a company called Bright Sparks that has been commissioned by the Shuttleworth Foundation to create an educational programme called Kusasa. Kusasa's primary goal is to develop kids' thinking skills by doing a series of projects that involve using Squeak eToys on the OLPC.

We received our first OLPC last week, and although I saw one at a recent conference in Chicago, I played with it for the for the first time only this morning. Quite astonishing!

I am hugely enthusiastic about the roll out of the OLPC and I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone on this forum.

Cheers,

Patrick
patrickkayton

Postby olpc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:17 am

Hi everyone,

I might sound silly but I am curious how do I buy the OLPC laptop from India?

Regards
Ian
olpc

Bravo for this wonderful initiative!

Postby castor16 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Hello all!

I've been tracking OLPC progress for some months. I want to congratulate everyone who took part of this wonderful project to give the children of all nations the gift of knowledge of the world.

I've just tried the OLPC software this weekend (build 622) and I was really impressed how all applications are so well integrated. I would like to congratulate everyone who took part in this project, now that mass production is about to begin.

Congratulations!
castor16

Intro

Postby _fciron » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:44 am

I just got involved with the Give One, Get One program.

I have been playing with Linux as a desktop environment for a while. I am not a programmer or developer, maybe a power user.

I will probably be installing some of the XO software on my outdated Linux laptop while I wait for my XO to arrive. It needs lighter weight apps anyhow.

I am excited that there is a way for the general public to help with this.
_fciron

Future OLPC owner

Postby atwwong » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46 am

Hi all,

I purchased an XO-1 earlier today through the G1G1 program. As an educator, I am looking to see what options there will be for using it in North American schools, such as inner city or primary grades. I would like to see what options people will come up with for printing, networking, and what types of software will be available for downloading onto the system or a usb key. Currently I am using Linux Mint on my primary desktop.

Cheers,
Tony
atwwong

Postby wpurcell » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:18 am

Hello! I just donated through G1G1. I'm very excited to hear that these laptops will be going to kids in the third world. Their knowledge of the world will increase greatly! There will be ups and downs, I'm sure, but the positive aspects will far outweigh the negative, in my opinion. Kudos to everyone involved in this project! The laptop I'm receiving will be used by my 86 year old mother (although she doesn't know it yet!). I'm determined to get her into the "world of computers". Look forward to reading the news on this forum!
wpurcell

Greetings

Postby Kermit » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:57 pm

The OLPC is purchased, awaiting delivery, glad to discover this forum as I will be wanting to do some tweaking, hacking, and adding of additional programs/activities. Will need the collective wisdom and experiences of forum members. Thanks!
Kermit

Postby jsiegel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Just purchased through G1G1. Hope I discover others in my area have too so we can explore together.

I'm not a programmer nor an educator. Just thought this was a wonderful idea and really appreciate the idea of a non-bloated computer and software.

Davis and Sacramento California
jsiegel

Postby intelliot » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:38 am

When are the G1G1 laptops going to start arriving? Be sure to post when it does ;)
I bought an OLPC through G1G1 and thus have an extra T-Mobile year of wi-fi access which I don't need. Do you want it? Let me know.
intelliot

newbee

Postby captain.ratsie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:22 pm

Hello Humans
I set an alarm for 2.30 am pacific crawled out credit card in hand and dialed
olpc at 3.02am,,the nice man on the other end said I was "his first
caller" when I asked if they were slammed...I was amazed...getting up that early might not have been necessary. but that confirmation code was oh so worth it :D
I first read about the $100 laptop on the yahoo tech news in 02 or so and have followed the updates since..
I was so exited it was such a cool idea... the web is such a powerful tool
and a small, light weight, hand powered,laptop is just the right way to deliver it to the people that need it the most.......I knew if they ever made it to the U.S. i would get one
I am very exited that olpc has kept the XO linux/ gnu ,,I am tapping this on a linspire desk top,although I must admit I don't know bash, I will eventually learn ..I think that open source is best for the overall health and well being of the web... monopoly's are never good ,,,I dont wish bill any harm ,,,but I don't think he should have it all ..this will teach a whole generation that theres an alternative to windows
One last thing before I go ,,I read a bit on a tec blog or somesuch that olpc was having problems and orders were being dropped ,,, has any one heard anything like this ,,,I have my order confirmation # I would think that would be enough to straighten any mix ups out ...
My name is Russ My handle is captain ratsie ,,,and I'm oh so glad to be here
:::::=8=::::::::::=8=::::::::::>-o-ooo-o-+
+ <>< + human life is sacred pray for an end to killing everywhere + <>< +
captain.ratsie

I'll Have Lots Of Questions!

Postby ck3d » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Hello,
I'm so excited about the OLPC. I also got up at 2:30am pacific to order mine. I never thought to ask if I was first. My order taker did say it had already been a long day for her.
My credit card was charged 2 days ago. They did not charge shipping. Maybe that means my G1G1 is being made, and I'll have another charge when they ship?
I'll try not to worry.
I sort of feel out of my element, as I am not an programer or educator. I have never even used Linux before.
I am very good at figuring things out....but I will have lots of Questions!
Anyone want to step up to the plate, and be the OLPC Guru?
ck3d

Postby mrbiglive » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Can't watch till my OLPC arrive in December. I've been following the development of the OLPC but have just recently join this forum.

I'm in the Counseling and School Psychology field but I also have a background in Computer Engineering. I love to take things apart (hahaha).

Nice to meet you all.
mrbiglive

Postby JohnDead666 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:15 pm

"Hello!"

I joined the G1G1 program last week. I am expecting to receive the unit mid january 2008 I guess.

I simply think XO is the ultimate outdoor-computing machine: good autonomy, rugged, longer than average range WIFI, no mechanical parts and best of all some human charging devices (although I have yet to see any
available )

Also, as this is far from being as poweful as today machine, it probably does not heat very much thus making it safe ( for men ) for actual 'laptop' (on your lap ) use :p
JohnDead666

Postby psikeyhackr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Greetings and Salutations,

I recently ordered an OLPC on the G1G1 plan. It hasn't arrived yet but since I only got one I was wondering if it is possible to make it communicate with a standard PC wirelessly.

I have messed with Linux for a while and used to be an HP-UX administrator.

I just learned India wasn't getting into the program. I wonder if these countries are too afraid of success. How much are school systems used for control rather than empowerment?

psik
psikeyhackr

Next

Return to Open Discussion