Welcome!

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Hi all

Postby Mrs.Captain.ratsie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 pm

:) I'm with Captain.ratsie above , our card was charged on the 24th !!!! yay yay I am every bit as excited as my husband , I cant wait to see what the programing is like and how hard it will be to learn . I am not a hack or geek , but I am hopeful lol lol Kudos to whoever started up this forum ! I dont know if the xo's can be "forced " to talk to a regular pc , but I do hope enough folks in each of our areas get them so that we can do the mesh thing .! :p happy holidays all !
Mrs.Captain.ratsie

Postby peter » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Welcome everybody! I'm still waiting for my XO in the mail.
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby olli7 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:33 am

Hallo!
I am from Germany, and I am working with Computers for nearly 30 Years in my Freetime and also in Buisness! I watched this, and other 100-Dollar-PC Projects, since years! For a long time I couldnt belive, it will become true ever. But...!
So, what I ask myself right now, is how can I help from Germany?
As you can see, my English spelling is not realy god, but I would like
to Support this Project.
My Father gave me the first Computer, it was a Sinclair Spectrum Z81 or so, when I was 14! (He was not verrry happy because I allways had to change the Frequencies of our Television, and shure I forgot to change them back after using my Computer on it! :) )
I learnd a lot with it, and about it!
Today, if I look out of my "rich" Country, I hope this is the rhight Project
to give "Knowledge" to People wich live in Countries with not a so good "Infrastructure" as we have here!
Shure, I would like to have my own OLPC, but I am also shure tehre is someone out there who need it more!
So, how can I help without having a OLPC myself?

Oliver from Germany
olli7

Kibwezi, Kenya

Postby BoBraxton » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:32 pm

I am with a PC(USA) church that is celebrating a 20-year partnership with Kibwezi Educational Centre P.C.E.A. in Kibwezi, Kenya. After work yesterday (Thursday) I found the first of four XO units at our residence. We are expecting two to be delivered at the church office and a fourth at another residence. I see that on Monday work was begun on the under-ocean fibre optic cabling to connect Kenya (East and South Africa) to the rest of the world, to be completed in 2009. We intend to gather and turn all four XO systems on at one time in one place and plan for a month-long workcamp group to take with them to provide to Primary School there in Kibwezi, the one affiliated with P.C.E.A.
BoBraxton

Postby Mrs.Captain.ratsie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:35 pm

Hey Oliver , welcome !.. You can donate laptops without buying one for your self right on the main page .. and thank you for such generosity . Debbie:):)
Mrs.Captain.ratsie

hi there

Postby tony.phillips » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:31 am

I'm a mathematician and I'm interested in seeing
how the math and science are delivered via OLPC.
Tony Phillips
tony.phillips

hellow from Chicago

Postby JonnyQuest » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:24 am

Hello All,

I'm a 1st year undergrad Computer Engineer in Chicago IL and I'm really excited about this project. Everything about it sounds amazing: the hardware, the humanitarian effort, the environmental effort, and the whole community.

See you all around the forums :)
JonnyQuest

Greetings from SoCal

Postby Tapdancer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi XO fans and users!

I'm a 70-year-old retired teacher/counselor who has been using computers and teaching about and with them since before the Apple ii+ and 100 Baud modems! Yes, I too remember an early Sinclair computer that was programmed in machine language. Lots of fun, but not very useful.

I received my XO yesterday and have spent many frustrating hours trying to get it online. At&t's tech support is totally clueless about why it won't recognize my "passphrase" when it is put in. I hope to find someone here who has solved this problem.. Meanwhile, I'll head for Borders this afternoon.

A note to Oliver from Germany...yes! There is a way you can help! Just Google "Pootle" and go to their website and register to help with translations:
I notice there is still some work to be done on the German section, and perhaps you know other languages where you can also help.

If anyone manages to figure out the at&t wi-fi connection secret...please send me an email!
Tapdancer

Hello

Postby knomad » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Hello. I'm a lawyer in Boston. I wanted to donate to OLPC and was thrilled to get the chance to see what the buzz is about by getting my hands on a G1G1 model. It arrived yesterday, and I am clueless. Probably I should just turn my seven year-old son loose on it.

Or just cross the river and find the designers, I suppose.

:D
knomad

Postby peter » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Welcome everyone!
peter

Doc here... in MI

Postby doc » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi,

Chemistry professor here in MI. Just received my little box. Very cool. Still puzzling out how to "Register".
doc

Just getting started

Postby jbullock » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:34 pm

The little green machine arrived today! First impressions? Some excellent, some not so good. I can't figure out a lot of stuff. As one of the other posters said, I probably should just give it to a 10-year-old. Hope this forum is going to be a source of mutual help (once I get going).
jbullock

Postby peter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:02 am

Welcome to the community! I got mine today and am scratching my head too.
peter

It's here!

Postby Cayenne » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:20 pm

A fdd, I waited eagerly for the arrival. Got the email day before yesterday and eagerly watched the tracking. 3:30 pm, it arrived at my house in Marin County!

Quickly unboxed it and connected battery and power supply.

It found and connected to the local wifi pretty quick, and, while slow to process some of the fatter websites, it browses pretty nice.

Now off to play with the applications!

Oh the came controller scrolling of the ebook was a little flakey at first, but after a coupla reboots and rotations of the screen display, all seems well. The touchpad jumped about a bit too, but that has also settled down.
Cayenne

Postby peter » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:03 am

Merry Christmas!
peter

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion