Got It

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Got It

Postby richard.green.a » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:30 pm

Ordered first day. I received it 12/19/2007.
The only surprise so far is how small the keys on the keyboard are.
Not too difficult to get started.
My wife is a retired elementary school teacher, and I'm curious about her view of the XO are a learning tool for kids.
richard.green.a

Postby peter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:03 am

What does your wife think now that you have had a couple days to play with it?
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

what a retired teacher thinks

Postby richard.green.a » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:42 am

My wife's impression was that without adequate beginner's help, she thought the kids would unlikely to be able to get much from the XO.
richard.green.a

Postby peter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am

That's similar to what I was thinking. It isn't so intuitive that documentation or help isn't needed. Teaching large classroom groups of people on how to use it without the help of at least some literature, projection or blackboard instruction will be difficult.

I haven't heard much on what the program is doing to help teachers overcome that. It seems like a potential big problem, especially if some governments are [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7094695.stm"]wary of the benefits[/url] from the beginning.

Even so, access to the Web using the built-in Wikipedia links should be a very good start. Hopefully the buzz created from unprecedented access to the Internet will spur investment in national support schemes. If not, it will be a long slow road. It's never just the technology, people often forget about the people factor.
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Return to Open Discussion