greetings from Cardiff, CA

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

greetings from Cardiff, CA

Postby stevenpirie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:12 pm

Got the machine on saturday the 6th.
Everything works well. I am glomming off of a neighbors access point that I can pick up in my 'neighborhood'. My kid is enjoying the record and tamtam activities as well as the paint activity.
I bought a wee external mouse (his touch pad skills need work).
the machine is fabulous.
I have installed flash and yummed midnight commander. I am loving the battery life on this thing.
I will likely buy a small footprint keyboard for my own use (fat fingers). But hey, I am loving this machine!
stevenpirie

Postby peter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 am

As you play with it let us know your impressions!
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby stevenpirie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:47 pm

as a pdf reader, this can handle quite complex documents, very impressed.
keyboard tends to be slow sometimes.
write activity reads word docs, but obviously wont 'keep' them as *.doc. Good for viewing, but best to work in RTF format.
I am looking to download and install an outliner of some form (export in opml or xml ), is this even possible?
stevenpirie

Postby stevenpirie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:55 pm

well,
I got logged on at starbucks easily, freely (is that a word?:)) and quickly attracted a few interested fellow geeks.
I am now wondering what else I can do to install some more 'serious' activities, I am really looking for a good outliner/notes activity and maybe a more solid mp3 player rather than the app in etoys.
I am still very happy. Although i would love top know what format the camera takes stills in, so I can email them to granpa etc.
stevenpirie

Return to Open Discussion