Browser Plugins - Any Requests?

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Browser Plugins - Any Requests?

Postby Infamy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:42 am

There has been some chatter regarding firefox add-ons that would be handy on the XO. My thought is that maybe if we got a consolidated list together, we might be able to talk to the add-on dev's themselves, and possibly ask for their support. If we could start with a few popular ones, I think that would be a good start.

I for one would love to see an ad-block add-on implemented. I also notice a lot of parents looking for parental controls, but I am not sure what is popular.

Cheers,

Infamy
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

meebo?

Postby Travis Hall » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 am

well firefox has a meebo sidebar.(meebo logs you into ur aim gmail msn ect.) and that would rock!
i like pie
Travis Hall

Postby Infamy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Good stuff, Anyone else have any ideas?
1st day donor :)
Infamy
Support Team

Re: Browser Plugins - Any Requests?

Postby mburns » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:25 pm

Infamy wrote:There has been some chatter regarding firefox add-ons that would be handy on the XO. My thought is that maybe if we got a consolidated list together, we might be able to talk to the add-on dev's themselves, and possibly ask for their support. If we could start with a few popular ones, I think that would be a good start.

There is a developer plugin (not the Web Developers add-on, a different, related add-on) that does syntax highlighting and colored block nesting of html tags when you do a 'View Source' on a webpage.

This, or similar, is a great way to make HTML more approachable... and a great way to grok other's web code. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/655
mburns
Support Team

It would be great to have Flash

Postby ecohanlon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:32 pm

We use youtube, egames, and all kind of things that require flash.

I installed the flash, version 48, but it goes to a gray screen when I click on anything too big.

It would be nice to see an included flash version in an upgrade.

Thanks,

ecohanlon :shock:
ecohanlon

Postby tbooth » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:15 pm

I use about a dozen plug-ins like Auto Cppy, CustomizeGoogle, Download Statusbar, Extended Statusbar, TabMix Plus, NoScript, etc. I know all of these bog down my FF's mem and speed...two things that we can't afford on the OLPC. I think AdBlock Plus should be top priority. NoScript rules, but is probably too complicated for 95% of the web users out there. My thoughts.
tbooth

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:19 am

Infamy wrote:I also notice a lot of parents looking for parental controls, but I am not sure what is popular.
I have no experience in this realm myself, but I imagine the two parental control extensions mentioned in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Parental_controls are popular.
Joe

Postby Freemor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm

For those interested I have posted a How-to on using Privoxy with the Browse Activity to block ads. (and some other unwanted stuff). You can find it @

http://freemor.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/blocking-ads-on-the-xos-browse-activity/

Input is welcome.

Also if anyone knows an appropriate place on wiki.laptop.org where I should link or re-produce this please let me know.

Enjoy
(I know I'm enjoying seeing almost 0 ads)
Freemor

Postby ektoric » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:59 pm

My first thought would be the Browse activity's Discussion tab.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby genesee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:44 am

A spelchecker wold be good.
genesee

Postby Nayantara - With Posting issues » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:44 pm

genesee wrote:A spelchecker wold be good.

Have you verified that the built in Spellchecker does not work?
Misspelt words are underlined in red and on right-clicking the word a menu popups with suggestions.
Nayantara - With Posting issues

Postby genesee » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 am

Nayantara - With Posting issues wrote:Have you verified that the built in Spellchecker does not work?
Misspelt words are underlined in red and on right-clicking the word a menu popups with suggestions.

Howdy Nayantara With Posting Issues,

What an unusual handle!
er...yes...pretty sure I would notice the red lines. I got my xo about a year ago and have never had spellcheck. Now running Browse 98 in build 767 or staging-7. Also tried some linux programs found with yumex. No good if I want to stay in Sugar...and i do, (same reason I'm not using Firefox or Opera).

¡Gracias!
genesee
genesee

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:04 am

I would love to see a shockwave plug in. There are a number of wonderful (and educational) interactives that we'd love seeing run on the XO, but they need the shockwave plug -in to display -- I seriously doubt that will happen, given Adobe's lack of support of shockwave in general, and the drive space required for the download, and the potential memory issues -- but these could work nicely off external storage (USB or SD) media, so I guess it's still worth requesting.

Postby darkin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:46 am

Guest wrote:I would love to see a shockwave plug in. There are a number of wonderful (and educational) interactives that we'd love seeing run on the XO, but they need the shockwave plug -in to display -- I seriously doubt that will happen, given Adobe's lack of support of shockwave in general, and the drive space required for the download, and the potential memory issues -- but these could work nicely off external storage (USB or SD) media, so I guess it's still worth requesting.

It is great to see the different types of views about the plugin will give the best opportunity for anyone to show a better amount of intent in making the better request for others to do it. The reason for the people to go for the browser plugins will help anyone to get the better request for others to make it. That will really help the people to do something better about the plugins for the browser.
It will change the different types of things for others to follow it will make the best things for others to know about the various types of request for the plugins.
darkin

Postby genesee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:48 pm

still would very much like spellcheck on my xo....and, yes, I'm sure the "built-in" does not work and never has. now running build 802 firmware whatever41 sugar 8.2.1
pretty much fed up and switching to XtraOrdinary. next machine will be android or iSlate.
genesee

Next

Return to Open Discussion