Browser

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Browser

Postby kentsin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:24 am

Why the browser hide the url?

Isn't it against the project's idea?

Even in the jornal, the url of a browsing activities is hide. Even an adult will get very upset not able to do normal browsing (go up a level, change obvious spelling mistake of url, etc).

Actually, the whole project is too (uncessary) innovative. The whole software part of the project is very dispointed. It is not very considerable for users.

If one of the value of this olpc project is that some talent children will get computing skills, most children get IT experiences, but the completely different computing experience is against this value. I strongly argue that a more traditional software platform is used for olpc.
kentsin

Re: Browser

Postby HoboPrimate » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:28 pm

If you click on the title of the webpage, it changes to the url. I've thought about having a go up button, perhaps as a secondary option on the Back button, but then again, it is as easy as deleting the end of the url and pressing enter.
HoboPrimate

Postby ektoric » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:52 pm

HoboPrimate wrote:I've thought about having a go up button, perhaps as a secondary option on the Back button, but then again, it is as easy as deleting the end of the url and pressing enter.

In the old "Web 1.0" world where URLs are directory/file hierarchies, "up" like how your describing makes sense in a "move up the directory tree" paradigm. In today's "web 3.0" world where URLs aren't directory structures but REST calls, "up" doesn't make any sense.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby abuser4lif3 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm

I couldn't figure it out too... This innovation isn't helping with these unnecesary and annoying things.
abuser4lif3

Postby kentsin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 am

When you point to a link, it also refuse to tell where will it take you.
kentsin

Postby jfbrown42 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Good point. I realize eliminating "right click" is one of the design goals, but that would be a good use for it, methinks.
jfbrown42

Postby kentsin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 pm

May be most people think I am too harash for just hiding a url from the user.

There are two school in security:

MS did every move to hide the information from the users. They try to prevent the user from access the complicated information and thinking it is for their own good.

That is what I disagree from them, and most UI person think that complexity is bad.

The other way is to show all information but carefully not being in the way.

If the complexity is blocking the user from access the system , it is bad!
But the user get educated when you expose the information, when exposed to information, users got used to it and were educated. Educated users rise the level of security.

I have readed that all UI stuffs were open to user with a press of key,

However, I learn with the hard way that the browser activity hide all information, even those were shown to the user like Internet Explorer from the users. The developer must have gone out of their mind.

It should not be allowed for individual developer in a project to decide what is best for the users, but a coherence believe that stick together make the proect sucess.
kentsin

Postby intrader » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:38 am

HoboPrimate wrote:If you click on the title of the webpage, it changes to the url. I've thought about having a go up button, perhaps as a secondary option on the Back button, but then again, it is as easy as deleting the end of the url and pressing enter.

Suggestion: have the browser show tooltip when hovering over title.
intrader

Postby intrader » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:45 am

jfbrown42 wrote:Good point. I realize eliminating "right click" is one of the design goals, but that would be a good use for it, methinks.

Where are these design decisions written?
intrader

Postby ektoric » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:01 am

intrader wrote:Where are these design decisions written?

Have you checked out the wiki? There is much information, even about Browse
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Open Discussion