OLPC : gain acceptance

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

OLPC : gain acceptance

Postby kentsin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:32 pm

0. Children first
1. Faster cpu
2. Touch Screen
3. 4G SSD
4. Change suger to more traditional feel
5. Server per classroom
6. Modern tradition browser
7. Easy application development (web base?)
8. Content oriented development
9. Global cooperation on development on content and project
10. Involve teachers
11. Talk to individual school instead of Govs
12. Cut cost by numbers not by limited resources from now
13. License technology to others
14. Develope more input devices
15. No more big changes, fine tune everything
16. Comercial friendy Open to everyone
kentsin

Re: OLPC : gain acceptance

Postby koolkat » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 am

kentsin wrote:0. Children first
1. Faster cpu
2. Touch Screen
3. 4G SSD
4. Change suger to more traditional feel
5. Server per classroom
6. Modern tradition browser
7. Easy application development (web base?)
8. Content oriented development
9. Global cooperation on development on content and project
10. Involve teachers
11. Talk to individual school instead of Govs
12. Cut cost by numbers not by limited resources from now
13. License technology to others
14. Develope more input devices
15. No more big changes, fine tune everything
16. Comercial friendy Open to everyone

0. Already being done
1. More $$$ no go
2. More $$$ no go
3. More $$$ no go
4. Did you read and understand why Sugar was developed in the first place?
5. Yeah that would be great. Isn't that already the plan where the funds are available?
6. No need little kids can use the one present, older kids should be able to figure out how to install opera or firefox
7. Ummm python with an open API can it really get any easier?
8. Dont really understand this seems like a line of buzzwords from a PHB
9. Yeah have you been to the wiki yet?
10. Ummm yeah again been to the wiki?
11. No can do it would be a logistical nightmare. They had a hard enough time shipping out 80k laptops to the US and Canada where the infrastructure was already in place, would be horrid to try and do that for each village school in remote areas.
12. Yeah thats kinda the whole idea behind the project
13. Sure what would need to be licensed seeing as everything is open source?
14. Go ahead and do it, has to be really cheap though and a keyboard is really the traditional input method for a reason.
15. Ummm yeah this might contradict your points 1-15 and nearly every post you've made on this board. You've advocated changing sugar in some of your previous posts.
16. Yep Open source is open source anyone already can develop on it.

Kentsin I really think you should read up on the history of the laptop as well as read a lot on wiki.laptop.org I would also read olpcnews.com and read their forums as well on olpcnews.com/forums/
koolkat
Support Team

Postby kentsin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:57 pm

You confirm that I am right

OLPC is more a research project than a real world application!

the Developer more interest in the process of creating then the usefulness of the creation.

What an XO do to the children? What will a child use it for? What age range does the machine aim at?

You give a notebook to the children, it is an enabling tool!

access to information
enable self-learning
enable self-publishing
enable IT skill
enable creation

A children who got the notebook will

Use it for

IM (yes, OLPC do it right)
Listern to Music (?)
Video conference (NO)
Phone (NO)
Book reader (? do not see the developer care very much about it)
Web browser (Yes, but not very well)
Camera (No, the direction is wrong)
Watch video (Yes, still need improvement)
Writing (Yes, but no helping hands, just a word processor, not even some out-line editor or mind-map tools were considered)
Publish (?, blog may be, but did not see any web authoring tools)
Dictionary (? may be)
Dairy (? no privacy provide)
Programming (yes)
Game (? did not see the developer care very much about it)
Learn IT skill (? the UI is so different that reduce the effect)
Visual art (? the cpu power and no touch screen)

Most important, the software is far from finish. No content development efforts were seriously made. Did not see much effort to bring teachers involve and discuss the affect of the new learning style.

The whole system is not well baranced. Cost and power saving is one hand, but usefulness is also important. Innovation is good but getting acceptance is also important.
kentsin

Postby brisalta » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:50 pm

After reading various of the Kentsin posts I am getting the impression that he is a deliberate noise generator. Kentsin obviously has an agenda. The agenda seems to be to generate FUD.
brisalta

Postby kentsin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:40 pm

After I got my XO-1, I knew that it is not in a balance status.

Compare the XO-1 with the eee. You all should do that.

I hope OLPC have its goal fullfill, but it does not come without critics.

the designer of eee have been hard to make the machine cheap, but not cheap that to cut the function.

Read : should be the most important function instead of chat

If you try to open more files, you may find out that eeepc open most of them (I have not find one that it does not open yet). But obviously, XO-1 fail the test.

You may not get various video function from XO-1
You may not get voip from XO-1
The browse function (2nd place in my list) does not work as well as eee.

I think eee have got a good point of balance : cheap hardware which function well in what the designer desire to perform.

OLPC must suffer from the $100.00 goal. When it break the 100 point, no one is willing to give a functional review. No one is willing to raise the bar farther and make a good choice.

The project is drag by the hypes : its desire to gain more and more attentations and willing to give out the needs of the children for its own fame. Innovative is more important than usefulness. Meeting the $100.00 goal is more important than doing goods to end-users.

That is my saying: balance require to restablish. new balance is needed. To drop some of the existing load and seek a new balance. The target should be ultimost usefulness. If the proect want success, new balance is needed.

I do not want to destroy. Just say, the current trand is fatal.
kentsin

Postby sverma » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:38 pm

kentsin wrote:After I got my XO-1, I knew that it is not in a balance status.

Compare the XO-1 with the eee. You all should do that.

No you should not. They are two entirely different computers for very different markets.

kentsin wrote:I hope OLPC have its goal fullfill, but it does not come without critics.

the designer of eee have been hard to make the machine cheap, but not cheap that to cut the function.

Read : should be the most important function instead of chat

If you try to open more files, you may find out that eeepc open most of them (I have not find one that it does not open yet). But obviously, XO-1 fail the test.

You may not get various video function from XO-1
You may not get voip from XO-1
The browse function (2nd place in my list) does not work as well as eee.

I think eee have got a good point of balance : cheap hardware which function well in what the designer desire to perform.

OLPC must suffer from the $100.00 goal. When it break the 100 point, no one is willing to give a functional review. No one is willing to raise the bar farther and make a good choice.

The project is drag by the hypes : its desire to gain more and more attentations and willing to give out the needs of the children for its own fame. Innovative is more important than usefulness. Meeting the $100.00 goal is more important than doing goods to end-users.

That is my saying: balance require to restablish. new balance is needed. To drop some of the existing load and seek a new balance. The target should be ultimost usefulness. If the proect want success, new balance is needed.

I do not want to destroy. Just say, the current trand is fatal.

I've read some of your posts. What you really do not seem to understand is that this project isn't designed using perspective like yours. The project is seeking its own balance, but not for the items you have on your list. If you really like the Eee so much, well, sell your XO and buy a Eee PC. That's it! If you still want to make the OLPC project a success, roll up your sleeves and help out with different projects. Start at http://lists.laptop.org/ and sign up on some of the lists and help out.
sverma

Postby kentsin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks, I got a eee already.

It is time for the OLPC team got a eeepc and check it out really throughly.

I think the decision to left a touch screen out is very bad for both asus and OLPC team, but the OLPC team should have taken more critic because the target audionce.

If you guys want to shut me down, just do it, you guys were feeling what the Chinese gov. have been. No one like to being critized.

If I am not a coder, then I will not have a say to a project?

Will a developer a god? The programmer will take control? The user shall have no voice in the creative process that he is the final suffer?

Take the user is the priority!
kentsin

Postby Peter6218 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 am

Take the user is the priority!

And in my experience the user has taken a real backseat to the "professional educator" in the XO project.

The lack of a decent browser and Email program are just examples.

What is really critical however is the complete lack of even a rudimentary instruction manual with the machine. Yes I know it is supposed to be used with a teacher but is that realistic??

Does this mean that the machine has to stay at the school because the kids, if they take it home, have no way of getting help?

Not very sensible is that?
Peter6218

Postby doug » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Peter6218 wrote:The lack of a decent browser and Email program are just examples.

you are entitled to your opinion, but so am I and I do not agree that one, there is a lack of a "decent" browser" and two that an email program is needed on this device for all children in all uses. I don't think you get the idea that in most cases, there will be no internet connection, just the mesh networking.

Peter6218 wrote:What is really critical however is the complete lack of even a rudimentary instruction manual with the machine. Yes I know it is supposed to be used with a teacher but is that realistic??

why not? I think we can agree that if the teachers are not up to speed on the basics of the device, there is little hope of the device being much of an educational device. Sure the kids will figure some things out but it is designed to be used as a teaching aid.

Peter6218 wrote:Does this mean that the machine has to stay at the school because the kids, if they take it home, have no way of getting help?

Not very sensible is that?

When the kids have the basics of how the device works and get some basic training on a particular application from classroom usage, they'll be well equipped to figure stuff out. And if they're at home and want to ask a question, they just need to see who else is on the mesh and ask them the question. You know, the concept of learning to learn. Kids are far far more capable than adults at accepting and investigating new things.

Please go look at the videos on what went on in the Virgin Islands installation. There you will see the teachers helping the kids put together simple animations and write little stories to go with the animations. They plan on doing an update later in the year to show what kinds of stories and animations they can put together after having some time of their own to explore. We shall see if a written manual is needed for kids to progress using these devices.

For crying out loud, why is it that people are so bent out of shape that this device does not do what they do on a desktop computer? Not to mention the software is only a just getting out the door. Gheesh, people gave Microsoft Bob more credit than they'll give the XO and Sugar software.
doug

Return to Open Discussion