OLPC in Nicaragua

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

OLPC in Nicaragua

Postby ccquiles » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:53 pm

I am working with a few schools in Nicaragua that would benefit immensely from an OLPC or G1G1 effort, how does the allocation of laptops work? I am new to this site so I thought I would just put this out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. Does the effort to give laptops have to go through the local government, or does the OLPC group partner with local NGO's or non-profits?
ccquiles

Re: OLPC in Nicaragua

Postby alanpater » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 pm

hola

A normal deployment would go through the ministry of education. They would buy the laptops just as they would buy other school supplies, such as books.

There is a OLPC Nicaragua page on wiki.laptop.org, and the country map there shows that Nicaragua may be included in the 2nd group of countries OLPC would deploy in.

You may want to look at the Grassroots section on the wiki as well. Apart from getting the ministry of education in Nicaragua involved, you would be left with buying a bunch of G1G1 machines via ebay and deploying and maintaining them yourself. The nicaragua page on the wiki mentions the local Linux user group, so you may want to get in touch with them.

Are you there now? I spent 3 months in Leon in 2003/2004 and loved the place and people.
alanpater

Return to Open Discussion