OLPC Reveals XO 2.0, The Sub-$100 Laptop

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

OLPC Reveals XO 2.0, The Sub-$100 Laptop

Postby abuser4lif3 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 pm

The XO 2.0, which could sell for as little as $75, is a highly slimmed-down version of OLPC's current XO model and is designed for students that, in some cases, must walk miles to and from school.
One Laptop Per Child chairman Nicholas Negroponte on Tuesday unveiled a prototype of the charity's next-generation, low-cost laptop for poor students in emerging markets.

The device, called the XO 2.0, could sell for as little as $75, Negroponte said at an event at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston. "This laptop comes from a different point of view," he said.

Full news article at SOURCE: Laptop-Top.com

This could be great... I can't wait to see this XO myself.
What do you think about this interesting piece of news?
abuser4lif3

Re: OLPC Reveals XO 2.0, The Sub-$100 Laptop

Postby MKenzie » Mon May 26, 2008 10:16 pm

Wasn't the Osborne killed off because they announced the next new model too early and rather than buy the old model people waited for the next generation machine to arrive.
MKenzie

Postby BoBraxton » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:28 am

Would like to see. Our group is leaving July 2 for Kenya and taking SIX of the G1G1.
BoBraxton

Postby SLNT34 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:03 pm

That's great. I wonder when it will be for sale? I prop. should start a new thread but, I was looking on youtube for xo tutorial and reviews when I saw xo's rival. It's called the Classmate PC or Intel 2go pc. I never thought they had this until now, but it's got the same idea being kid friendly and designed for the classroom and aimed to help kids in developing countries. It's bascially an updated version of the xo, except it's an intel based pc. I guess it had a previous one which is 7". The newer one is 9". The website is http://www.classmatepc.com for more info. The clip I viewed on youtube comparing the two machines is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEm_6W1Z ... re=related (It's in Portugese, which I don't understand fluently, but you can pretty much understand what they are talking about. Another is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VavLTsr0cDc, but that is in spanish! Sorry, I could not find another video that compares them like these in english. Also, read the customer reviews. They are helpful. youtube is a good site for help with the ox as well.

The only difference is the Classmate pc is the price. These suckers range from $349-$549. I found it on amazon.com, $299, used. You won't see me purchasing one of these until the price drops or I can find them on ebay. I can buy a labtop from dell for that cost! But I guess they will be making them at a more affordable price starting from $249. That I can do.

Also I think it goes by a different name such as intel 2go pc and Asus Eee pc (I believe the name of the inventer)?
SLNT34

Return to Open Discussion