OLPC machines on ebay

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

OLPC machines on ebay

Postby Too Smart » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Get your OLPC on ebay today!
http://search.ebay.com/one-laptop-per_W ... QQfromZR40
Way to go guys! Did you really think that the recipients of these laptops would actually USE them? I figure the ones that are not being used for 411 scams will be flooding ebay over the next few months. The prices they are asking for them should keep them medicated for a few days, or perhaps new rims, maybe a bloo toof.
Too Smart

Re: OLPC machines on ebay

Postby Sparky » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 am

I didn't check every laptop for sale, but each one that I looked at was being sold from within the United States, as a part of the Give1Get1 program. These are just Americans reselling their machines,probably to recover part of their donation.

In the future, may I recommend having at least an inkling of what you're talking about before using the internet.

Thank you for your concern.
Sparky

Re: OLPC machines on ebay

Postby OtherMichael » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 am

non G1G1 resellers might not have a lot of luck --
Before an XO laptop is deployed, each one is assigned an encrypted "lease" that is monitored by a closed server defined by a 'manager' (like the country or region deploying them all). The lease is monitored and the laptops are not supposed to be turned on until they have been individually marked for its individual user. So if a laptop is stolen and then connected to the net, the database will turn off the connection and shut it off completely.

from http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/06/sixty-six-olpc.html, which admits that human-error might make the operable, or crackers make them rebootable (because, really, "security" is always just a speed bump).

I bought mine on ebay from a G1G1 buyer who had his 5 months of fun, and moved on. I didn't have the funds at the time the program existed, so I'm plenty pleased the no-ebay restriction was lifted.
OtherMichael

Return to Open Discussion