project ideas

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

project ideas

Postby bugzpodder » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:41 am

I am doing a school project on OLPC and I brainstormed some ideas in terms of software development. I don't own an XO so these suggestions are made based on publication available information. So I am curious if they are actually feasible ideas.

1. Children's Web Portal
A collection of *educational* resources. Multi-lingual support. It has value in educational systems with limited resources and provide a chance to learn outside of class. It is also a great way for to organize useful information targeted at children.

I can't tell what Xulrunner is from the description, but I am assuming it lacks the following two features.
2. smartphone like UI for browser
XO has a small screen and therefore I speculate it may have problems rendering many sites properly. A feature that lets a site render in the default resolution (800x600?) and then perform zooms (like what you do on a browser in a smartphone) would be interesting if it isn't already available. Obviously have to be designed to work with a touch pad.

3. Translation service
Targeted at non-english speakers. Things like Google Translate probably does a good job of translating static pages. But what about dynamic web-apps? I did a search online and I was surprised that i did not find any existing software that does this. This obviously needs to be integrated into the browser. I mean, back in the days there were software that translate Windows programs' menus to different languages!

anyway to reiterate this is for a university (english) course research project as part of recommendation section for what we can do to help achieve a goal to benefit society and narrow the digital divide gap.
bugzpodder

Re: project ideas

Postby bugzpodder » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 pm

can anyone who has an XO comment on point #2 in particular the general experience of surfing on a small screen? any site you found having trouble with (web apps in particular) or is it in general works fairly well? I would expect static pages to be good but web apps to perform poorly.
bugzpodder

Re: project ideas

Postby Sparky » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:51 am

I have no trouble seeing the screen, but then again I am young with one working eye. Fortunately, both of the Browsers on my XO (Browse and Opera) have buttons to magnify the web page. Also, it looks to me like the screen's pixels are smaller than a typical computer's.
Sparky

Return to Open Discussion