[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby Elena Siff Erenberg » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Yes to expanded developer program...Yes to focus on activities for children...Yes to new support for the XO and its infrastructure.
Most of what I am reading here is Greek to me as I am utterly tech-challenged. Is there any way to find out if someone in our geographic area ..Santa Barbara/ Goleta. CA. ...has an XO and if so, how can we link up with that XO user?
http://www.elenamarysiff.com
http://www.elenamary.etsy.com
Elena Siff Erenberg
 

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby mburns » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

On Dec 29, 2007 2:28 PM, Elena Siff Erenberg <esiff@att.net (esiff@att.net)> wrote:
Yes to expanded developer program...Yes to focus on activities for children...Yes to new support for the XO and its infrastructure.
Most of what I am reading here is Greek to me as I am utterly tech-challenged. Is there any way to find out if someone in our geographic area ..Santa Barbara/ Goleta. CA. ...has an XO and if so, how can we link up with that XO user?

Initially, we have a world map of all the (participating) community forum members.

http://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/phoogle_map.php

Register for an account, put in your city and you can help find people near you.



--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab
mburns
Support Team
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:09 pm
Location: Corvallis, Or

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby Holt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Dear Elena,

Have you looked into OLPC's many new Regional Community Groups?
There are dozens forming, please check these 3 pages:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Support#Community.2FLive_Support
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Regional_community_groups
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community

Please consider initiating your own group! And if you do, please posting details to the above pages by editing OLPC Wiki, so that others may join -- thanks.

In future OLPC hopes to provide comprehensive materials helpful to those wishing to start their local groups. For now, see this example in Austria: http://olpcaustria.org

Thanks for joining us,
OLPC Support (http://support.laptop.org)


Michael Burns wrote:

On Dec 29, 2007 2:28 PM, Elena Siff Erenberg <esiff@att.net (esiff@att.net)> wrote:
Yes to expanded developer program...Yes to focus on activities for children...Yes to new support for the XO and its infrastructure.
Most of what I am reading here is Greek to me as I am utterly tech-challenged. Is there any way to find out if someone in our geographic area ..Santa Barbara/ Goleta. CA. ...has an XO and if so, how can we link up with that XO user?

Initially, we have a world map of all the (participating) community forum members.

http://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/phoogle_map.php

Register for an account, put in your city and you can help find people near you.



--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab

_______________________________________________
Olpc-open mailing list
Olpc-open@lists.laptop.org (Olpc-open@lists.laptop.org)
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/olpc-open
Holt
 

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby mburns » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:50 pm

In fact, I spoke to soon... http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5311

This ticket details who should show up in the Neighborhood view (the view where yourself, wireless networks and other XOs and activities are display). The server being connected to is globally used so there is a huge selection of people owning XOs that you could connect with and collaborate with. One of the future options will be to see only :
1. people near you geographically,
2. a random selection across the world, or
3. a group of people currently online

This will be a neat way to meet new people. Just think of it! Share a game of connect-4 with a random new person across town. Have an chat with the dozen most interestingly colored in the Neighborhood View. All kinds of fun can be had... :)

Unfortunately, some of these features are scheduled for Update.2, not expected to be here for till March.

On Dec 29, 2007 4:31 PM, Michael Burns < maburns@gmail.com (maburns@gmail.com)> wrote:

On Dec 29, 2007 2:28 PM, Elena Siff Erenberg < esiff@att.net (esiff@att.net)> wrote:
Yes to expanded developer program...Yes to focus on activities for children...Yes to new support for the XO and its infrastructure.
Most of what I am reading here is Greek to me as I am utterly tech-challenged. Is there any way to find out if someone in our geographic area ..Santa Barbara/ Goleta. CA. ...has an XO and if so, how can we link up with that XO user?





--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab
mburns
Support Team
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:09 pm
Location: Corvallis, Or

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby Steve Holton » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:21 pm

Yet another Google Maps collection of XO owners:
http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n@gmail.com (sph0lt0n@gmail.com)
Steve Holton
 

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby mburns » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:03 pm

As with all other things we do, is there an easy way we can merge communities?

The bigger the map or userbase or chatroom or mailing list or support pool of volunteers the better. So, if we can make our kinda small map and their slightly larger map, we could all have a nice size map of friends.

On Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n@gmail.com (sph0lt0n@gmail.com)> wrote:
Yet another Google Maps collection of XO owners:
http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n@gmail.com (sph0lt0n@gmail.com)



--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab
mburns
Support Team
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:09 pm
Location: Corvallis, Or

[Olpc-open] Yes..yes...yes

Postby isforinsects » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:46 am

The GoogleMaps api isn't *too* hard. I've played with it a few times.

If we could all agree on a neutral site to host the map, and have both communities link to it, I think that that would be the best solution.

On Dec 29, 2007 7:03 PM, Michael Burns <maburns@gmail.com (maburns@gmail.com)> wrote:
As with all other things we do, is there an easy way we can merge communities?

The bigger the map or userbase or chatroom or mailing list or support pool of volunteers the better. So, if we can make our kinda small map and their slightly larger map, we could all have a nice size map of friends.


On Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n@gmail.com (sph0lt0n@gmail.com)> wrote:
Yet another Google Maps collection of XO owners:
http://tinyurl.com/37hmmm

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n@gmail.com (sph0lt0n@gmail.com)






--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab


_______________________________________________
Olpc-open mailing list
Olpc-open@lists.laptop.org (Olpc-open@lists.laptop.org)
http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/olpc-open

isforinsects
Support Team
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:08 am

Postby KayTi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:21 am

I've also seen a frappr map, though I can't for the life of me remember where I got this link from. Lucky I kept it:

Frappr OLPC user map
KayTi
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:13 pm


Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron