new xos

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

new xos

Postby blitzen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:54 pm

I have just recieved two xos for my two kids. Im having alot of trouble getting the laptop to do anything. The lack of instructions and a web page that isnt really clear is making these a challenge.
I worked with this for a few hours and havent anything to show for it. They dont seem to be as user friendly as my normal computer. I think im going to return the xos and continue to let the kids use my computer.
blitzen

Re: new xos

Postby AuntiMame » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:36 am

blitzen,
As you have learned the XO is not a Windows or mac computer and doesn't look like one. The lack of a "desktop" is a bit confusing to people at first. You are not alone. The more experience you have with Windows or Mac the more of a learning curve it may be for you to acclimate to the XO.

Where are you located? Local users groups have sprung up all over the US and Canada and the members of these groups would love to show you tips and tricks for using your XO.

Aunti
http://www.XOExplosion.com
Silly name. Great stuff for your XO laptop.
AuntiMame

Postby jakeosx » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 am

if you have specific questions, feel free to ask them here, perhaps a few answers will get you going in the right direction.
jakeosx

Postby metalgear » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:49 pm

what exactly do you mean by "acclimate to the XO" ?
metalgear

Postby ncarrol » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:32 pm

metalgear:
Acclimate:
1. Getting use to the "journal" rather than file system -- more useful for young students.
Using the concept of an activity as connected to the journal.
Getting use to the the slight variation in the word processor -- browser the same.
Getting use to the slower speed and smaller keyboard.
Learning to occasionally use the command line.
Learning the manual method of upgrading the software (one line command).
2. Learning the location of all the free books that you can download.
3. Availability of all the free activities.
ncarrol

Return to Open Discussion