CHARITY STARTS AT HOME

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

CHARITY STARTS AT HOME

Postby mileswaldron » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:37 pm

I just have one simple question about this OLPC program. Why don't we get every American Kid a laptop first, before we start sending them out to Kenya and Uganda and Zimbabwe? I believe in charity, but I also think our kids deserve a shot at technology too. Sure we have lots of priviledge in our country, but guess what? There is also poverty and ignorance right here in the good old USA! Wouldn't it make sense to start out this kind of program to help our own kids? Kind of like our own kids are a priority? I like the idea, but it seems oddly misguided at the same time.
:?:
mileswaldron

Re: CHARITY STARTS AT HOME

Postby ektoric » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 pm

ektoric
Support Team

Re: CHARITY STARTS AT HOME [SOLVED]

Postby mileswaldron » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:07 am

Thanks ektoric. Seems like I have lots of catching up to do. :|
mileswaldron

Postby ektoric » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:11 am

It's a learning experience for all of us :)
ektoric
Support Team

Postby bremington » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:44 pm

I had the same thought as mileswaldron. My kid's school has one room with a couple of Apple 2e computers in there that probably represent a couple thousand dollars worth of state funds. This is in the neighborhood where Bill Gates grew up! I've sent an email to the principal of our elementary school asking about the feasibility of incorporating these laptops into the curriculm, suggesting a fundraiser or a grant from the Gates foundation. $200,000 - $400,000 could outfit 500 kids and the software on the machines is really perfect for that environment. Wouldn't it be nice if these 'web savvy' kids could actually learn how to program computers?
bremington

Return to Open Discussion