Who pays for XOs?

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Who pays for XOs?

Postby BaylorGrad » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Hello,
I am a baylor anthropology major graduating this week but before that I have to finish my research paper and I am happy to say it involves the great work OLPC is accomplishing every day.
My main question is other than through the G1G1 program, how are the XOs paid for in the countries they are distributed in? Is it from that country's government? Other NGO groups? Donors?
Specific information is not needed but a general idea would be great help.
thank you for your help
BaylorGrad

Re: Who pays for XOs?

Postby AuntiMame » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:07 am

that country's government? Other NGO groups? Donors?

all of the above.

If a country or governmental organization is doing the deployment, then they buy the XOs. If an NGO is doing it, they buy the XOs.

Aunti
http://www.XOExplosion.com
Silly name. Great stuff for your XO laptop.
AuntiMame

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 pm

What does the XO cost to manufacture today ?

The buy 1 get 1 program, implies it costs ~200 USD each.. but that doesn't really sound like a real cost, which I'm sure must fluctuate inline with component costs, hopefully downwards as volumes go up and the common components become cheaper.. is there any chance of it becoming the 100 dollar laptop again anytime soon ?
Rob

Postby scifi2nite » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:04 am

All in all, I still think it sounds reasonable.
scifi2nite

Postby polardjohn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:10 am

Whenever i read things like this, I get the feeling that, deep down, OLPC supporters are convinced that the XO's capabilities and educational promise are so severely compromised that these exaggerations are necessary.
polardjohn

Return to Open Discussion