OS

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

OS

Postby daveapostles » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:25 am

Some years ago, I made a donation of the price of an XO. When G1G1 recently came to the UK through Amazon, I made another purchase. I am, however, entirely frustrated to learn that OLPC is now about to change the OS to a MIcro$oft version of Sugar based on XP and in the future W7. I supported the XO for its ethics of both provision and OpenSource. I do hope that OLPC will reconsider this option and remain with the Fedora-based OS - please, please, please.
daveapostles

Re: OS

Postby abooks » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:13 am

Dave is spot on. Most of us of us who signed on to this were trying to do the right thing for third world children AND creating a universe free of corporoids. Now, in trying to expand the distribution, you've signaled you no longer wish to cater to our segment of the population. Which is just what Microsoft and Amazon want: if you cut off your enemy's supply lines, you've beaten them. Big mistake.
abooks

Return to Open Discussion