Can I buy one for a family I know in Africa?

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Can I buy one for a family I know in Africa?

Postby kendall20 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:46 pm

I have a family that I kee in touch with and send money to in Tanzania. They have 3 beautiful kids that would love a laptop either in English or Swahili. Can anyone help my acquire one so that I may send it to them??? I can't figure out how to buy one. THANKS!! Kendall
kendall20

Re: Can I buy one for a family I know in Africa?

Postby Richard Roy richr0302@netscape.net » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Can I buy one for a child in the United States?
Richard Roy richr0302@netscape.net

Postby ektoric » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 pm

The OLPC XOs are not for sale as a regular purchase. These became available during a promotional period in 2007 between November and December, and again in 2008.

Outside of this promotional period the methods of getting a single laptop is limited. Some suggestions might be:
* Occasionally someone who participated in the Give 1 Get 1 promotional period may have a laptop they no longer wish to keep. Get in contact with them.
* Ebay hawkers prey on people who did not participate in the G1G1 and sell them during non-promotion periods.
* Get your community together for a large scale purchase for which you can do arbitrage and break up the large order into smaller ones for the individuals in your community.

But frankly, the best way to get an XO is to wait for the next G1G1 promotion. And this time, don't forget to stock up! I bought 5, and only have 1 left. Everyone I gave one to loved it! And they were all happy that it went to a good cause, instead of ebay merchants.

(p.s. There is a distinction between ebay merchants taking advantage of supply and demand, vs. individuals who no longer need their XO and want someone else to enjoy it.)
ektoric
Support Team

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Thank you for your input. I have seen a few on Ebay....I am tempted to buy one and send it over. It would be so great for the kids in this family. Someone also suggested a "Netbook" ...any thoughts? I plan to make a donation to OLPC. Thanks again.

Return to Open Discussion