OLPC XO Generation 1.5 Laptop Demo/Speed Test - [Video]

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

OLPC XO Generation 1.5 Laptop Demo/Speed Test - [Video]

Postby Nayantara » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/olpcs-xo-generation-1-5-laptop-handled-speed-tested-on-video/

The lucky kids at the OLPC Learning Club DC got paid a visit by a man sporting a beefed up XO 1.5 laptop recently and was kind enough to put on a little show for the group. Featuring a VIA C7-M 1GHz variable speed processor, the update to the classic XO machine promises full screen video playback, faster eToys and scratch animation, more storage for a larger offline library, better image capture and remixing, and an all-around better Java experience. In an admittedly unscientific (but still pretty sweet) side by side comparison, the XO 1.5 (left) was able to boot up and launch eToys (a real memory hog) before the XO 1.0 had booted up all the way -- this despite the fact that the 1.5 was started a little later, and that the 1.0 is overclocked to 500MHz. We're looking forward to seeing more red hot XO 1.5 action as the release date grows nigh -- in the meantime, the video below will have to tide us over. Enjoy!

Video Link http://www.youtube.com/v/9N4PD219fcE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0
Gave 13-Nov-2007, Got 3-Jan-2008.
Nayantara

Re: OLPC XO Generation 1.5 Laptop Demo/Speed Test - [Video]

Postby superimposedmedia » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:46 pm

This does look promising. Considering the cosmetics of the machine appear identical, I really hope there is an upgrade option of some sort. Especially the added RAM. With the added "hard drive" space, I would certainly be allocating some swap space as well. Great news, Nayantara!
I'm currently configuring three xos, two for my nieces and one for myself.
myspace.com/superimposedmedia
superimposedmedia

Return to Open Discussion