Give students Ipod Touch as well as OLPC

Points of views and questions about the OLPC project. What should it be? How could it be better? Where is it needed most? Ask your questions here and let your opinion be known.

Give students Ipod Touch as well as OLPC

Postby iajzenszmi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 am

It would be good to use Apple's Ipod Touch in education. The Ipod Touch is a platform which can be deployed to the students now, and used immediately for education, without a lengthy development process. A hand powered crank generator charger docking station, or solar cell array, could be used for recharging the ipod touch in locations without electricity supply. An environment proof rugged case can also be developed. The school / village environment can be fitted with Wifi and used in a similar manner to the OLPC machines. The Ipod Touch is extremely portable, and can be carried between home and school in a shirt pocket.

https://www.ischoolinitiative.com/

https://www.ischoolinitiative.com/About_Us.html is the source of the following.

Travis Allen formed the iSchool Initiative after coming to the sober realization that we can't wait for government and school board bureaucrats to bring technology into our classrooms. This non-profit organization began with the simple idea that Apple's popular iPod Touch just might be a solution for cost effective technology in schools. After sharing his iSchool concept with Teachers, students and eventually the Principle of his high school, he realized this idea had tremendous potential to save schools money and at the same time dramatically reduce their carbon footprint on the environment.

Travis quickly realized there would be only one way to make this vision into a reality. He knew it would take a small army of people demanding cost saving, environmentally conscious solutions in our school systems before School Boards and companies like Apple, Microsoft and their developing teams would take on such an ambitious project. He began working on a PowerPoint presentation to make his case. This was soon after turned into a Youtube video that quickly began to build global public support for his idea. Next, he created a Facebook Group along with the iSchoolAdvocate, twitter page and finally this website.
On May 11th of 2009, the day after Travis turned 18 years old, he registered the iSchool Initiative with the Secretary of State of Georgia as a non-profit corporation dedicated to bringing technology solutions to classrooms across America. .
iajzenszmi

Re: Give students Ipod Touch as well as OLPC

Postby aliahlewis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 am

I am happy that you are being that much concern for students. I wish all school authority thinks like that. I have bought a laptop for my baby also as he is studying .And I think today's generation has to be with technology and use all advance tools and techniques then only they can be with this speedy world.
aliahlewis

Postby andrewrein » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:41 pm

yeah, i've been a professor before in a public school and i really envy people like this org
andrewrein

Postby Ohioquotes » Sun May 23, 2010 11:06 pm

My kids would like that. They both have one and could probably teach it in school!
Ohioquotes

Return to Open Discussion