AbiWord Full Install

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

AbiWord Full Install

Postby hoosierboy1 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Does anyone have any further advice on how to install/access the full version of AbiWord?
I read quite a bit on this forum and on the wiki, and followed the instructions and none of them worked.
I really need a word processor that can do more than "Write."
Thanks.
HoosierBoy
hoosierboy1

Re: AbiWord Full Install

Postby alanpater » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:04 am

So, after you renamed the keybindings.xml file, opened the Write activity, and pressed ctrl & N, what happened?

What should happen is that the full version of AbiWord starts up.
Last edited by alanpater on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanpater

Postby hoosierboy1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:10 pm

when I typed the keybindings command, it says no that command is not known.
also, the instructions I was following on the workaround on the wiki said to press control n, which may have also been a problem.
hoosierboy1

Postby hoosierboy1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 pm

I just tried it again, and it worked!
I got the full install of AbiWord.
Thanks!

One more question. How do I Sugarize so I can get the ICON on the bottom and don't have to open up write everytime?

I can't thank you all enough. This forum is really great. All of this is new to me, and I am engaging in the "sesame street" learning as someone else called it. It's very touching that so many are willing to share their knowledge. Maybe in 10 years, I'll be able to share some too :D .
--hoosierboy
hoosierboy1

Postby jwa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:27 pm

From this forum it looks like you have the full version of abiword running on your xo. Could you please post or point us in the direction of instructions of how you did this?
Thank you
jwa
jwa

Postby brisalta » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:11 pm

jwa wrote:From this forum it looks like you have the full version of abiword running on your xo. Could you please post or point us in the direction of instructions of how you did this?
Thank you
jwa

The full version of Abiword is already installed. You have to rename the keybindings file for write (which is actually Abiword ) so the full Abiword can be launched from write.

see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Workarounds and scroll down to How to enable full Abiword functions in the Write activity
brisalta

Postby genesee » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:06 pm

How can I get Check Spelling to work in AbiWord? It's in Prefs, but is a ghost in Tools and on the menu bar.
By the way, control-n works fine. It even survives olpc-updates, unlike things like Adobe Flash or anything done with yum.
genesee

Return to Activities / Software