Video and Audio activites cause hard crash

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

Video and Audio activites cause hard crash

Postby joncamfield » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Today I tried to update to joyride-2155. When I booted in I discovered that record and command-line mplayer both caused the XO to become nonresponsive (power-cycle only). I thought this was an unfortunate joyride issue, and restored back to 703 using olpc-update; same problem. I then did a secure reflash from USB (twice!) and tried an olpc-update from there to restore functionality, but no luck.

Record, Measure, TamTam, and mplayer all cause the same problems with similar symptoms; the activity loads, but whenever it tries to actually play the video or activate the camera or mic, it freezes. The wifi lights continue to flicker, and the battery light will change state, but no keyboard or mouse response.

Booting into open firmware and running test /camera provides a moving camera image, so it's not hardware; and I don't think it's the activities themselves (I downloaded a Record from the Activities page to test). If I had to guess, I'd think it was a driver/module problem or at the X level, but I'm not familiar enough with Linux or Sugar to really diagnose or fix that.

Help??? I love my XO for watching movies, and I'd resisted going to joyride specifically because I didn't want to lose Record because it's such a great, visceral demo of the XO's capabilities. I can't think of any more ways to restore my XO to a pristine state that I haven't already tried, so I think it's time to actually figure out the underlying problem??
joncamfield

Re: Video and Audio activites cause hard crash

Postby joncamfield » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:18 pm

Update: I did a yum update and the camera in record showed the video for a brief second before freezing, but now it won't even boot.
joncamfield

Postby cuprum » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:31 pm

I noticed when I downgraded to 656, I kept the new firmware.
cuprum

Postby joncamfield » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Ah, that could cause some problems; I think by some luck I've restored my XO to 703 (a 4th reflash, some yum update goodness, and a bit of luck) but I'm still not really sure what caused the problem or what magic sequence of flash, yum, and activity-installs that I did that "repaired" it.
joncamfield

Postby joncamfield » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 pm

Unfortunately; after a few days of functioning normally, it randomly has developed the same problems (freeze on any audio/video app, no startup sound...) -- it worked on my metro in to work, crashed on the way back.
joncamfield

Postby cuprum » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:07 am

I can't tell if you're asking for help or just warning the rest of us. Thanks in any case.

You can supposedly downgrade your firmware manually. Haven't tried it and hope I don't have to.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_the_firmware
cuprum

Postby joncamfield » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:19 am

It's a very confusing situation; I fiddled around with it, trying a few things before reflashing, and it decided to start working again. I ran a test /camera and a test /audio, did a nandflash full check (and tried to erase, but failed - I probably need to disable security before erasing in the forth prompt), unplugged and took the battery out (which I'd done earlier with no effect, fwiw), and some combination of these things plus the passage of time and the delicate flapping of my pet butterfly's wings (http://xkcd.org/378) seems to have done something??

I will continue to try and narrow down what fixes "work" on this problem by becoming more patient, now that I know it's eventually, somehow, always recoverable.

As to whether I'm asking for help or just warning, mainly now just continuing to post abut the various resolutions to the problem.

I would definitely appreciate any further ideas or tools to help me troubleshoot where this is glitch coming from
joncamfield

Return to Activities / Software