camera and video recording

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

camera and video recording

Postby jess_bikerider » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:00 pm

One of the things I would like to do with my G1G1 laptop is to connect with family out of state by video, either by creating connection in real time or prerecorded format.

The first trial I had only allowed me to do 45 seconds.... hardly long enough. Am I not seeing other possiblilities?

Thanks for help.
Jess
jess_bikerider

Re: camera and video recording

Postby ektoric » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am

The flash memory on the XO is relatively small: only 1g. To use it as a camcorder may be a little too harsh. But there are many ways to get around it!

The record program, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Record#Collaboration, currently "does not support real-time sharing of video or audio." But the record program is written in python, hackzine has an article that shows how to increase the length of videos recorded. Finally, since the onboard memory is relatively small, you'll have to use the journal to move your videos onto your SD card or USB flash to clear up some room.

It's not the most elegant solution, I know, but it's the quickest, least hacky, way to do what you want to do. The farther you get from the intended usage of the XO, the more involved you'll need to get to find your own solutions. The hardware is there, the software may take a little work in finding =)
ektoric
Support Team

Postby jess_bikerider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Thank you for the information. i guess I will be waiting to apply this idea to my life. I currently use the XO as a book reader, and note taker. Works fine for those purposes.
jess_bikerider

Postby alanpater » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 pm

The Video Chat activity has recently been updated. It supports one-on-one video conferencing between two XO laptops.

It is available here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Video_Chat
alanpater

Postby dale154 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 pm

The Video Chat activity has recently been updated. It supports one-on-one video conferencing between two XO laptops. Digital Video Recorder (DVR) - Unlike VCRs, DVRs record video to a computer hard drive or other media such as a CD or DVD. This makes a DVR easy to maintain because there are no bulky tapes to change or the risk of losing video quality when recording over previous footage. Most of our DVRs can be operated and monitored remotely from anywhere in the world using the Internet. While the surveillance video data is stored on the DVR it can be protected from loss caused by operating errors, tampering and accidents.
dale154

Return to Activities / Software