How to share a game created with Memorize activity?

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

How to share a game created with Memorize activity?

Postby maryseb » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi all,
I have created a few educational memory games for OLPC Oceania. I would like to share them with users from the other countries of our project either by uploading them on the Wiki or by sending the file by email. I couldn't find the way to do it.
I did the following experiment : I copy the file from the journal on a USB key and transfer it on another XO . No problem. It's working.
Now I copy the file from the journal on a USB key, send it by email via my PC to another PC, retrieve it from this other PC on my Key, transfer it onto another XO, now the file doesn't open any more as a memory game but Etoy opens and offer me to unzip it. I have no idea where.
Could some body help me?
Thank you in advance
Maryse
maryseb

Re: How to share a game created with Memorize activity?

Postby ncarrol » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:55 am

I too could not get binary files to pass through my email clients.
The simplest answer for me was to use a PC to upload the files to a server. Then, any XO (or PC) could download them. Could not directly upload from XO because XO does not handle the user/password dialog of the server.

An account on the wiki with the upload (under Tools at the left side of any wiki page) might be an answer for you. I am not familar with the setting up of wiki accounts. Perhaps a start is :

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributing_content

If all else fails, I could set up an account on my server of the form http://xoserver.org/oceania and supply you with a username / password as a temporary solution.

I hope someone else can supply us both with an email solution -- I could not find one.
ncarrol

Postby maryseb » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks for the different solutions. It comforts me to see that I am not the only one struggling!
I had already tried with the upload on the Wiki but as the file as no extension it refused the upload.
I will investigate the other tips and let you now my findings.
maryseb

Postby ncarrol » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:34 am

I may have got it to work over email. I examined the binary content of the files before and after the mail transfer. The files appeared to be the same if the detached file name is the same as the original. So, it appeared the problem occurred during the name /file type.
IGNORE:
Anyway, the following worked for a couple of files, but all the steps may not be needed -- I still have more work to do. The procedure just involves adding the file extension ".xml", attach, email, detach and remove the extension ".xml" .

Steps:

Rename the memory file by adding the extension .xml . Not needed
Select the email mode HTML and attach the file . Not needed
Email the file.
Detach the file to USB drive.
Rename the file by removing the .xml extension . Only special step needed
Use Browse to download the file from the USB. ( Use file:/// for index; click on file to download)
In memory program, load it and restart it.

Your prompting made me take a second look. It may be a couple of days before I can test eliminating unnecessary steps.

EDIT:Only special step needed is to remove ".xml" extension in filename after detaching file.
The solution was sooooo simple.
Nate
Last edited by ncarrol on Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:39 am

To clearify the earlier post.
The only special step needed is to remove the ".xml" from the file detached from an email. My email client adds the extension when it detaches the file. When you rename the file, it does give a warning about changing the extension -- ignore warning.

For the wiki upload, you might want to try the trick of adding the extension ".xml" to upload, then removing it from any download -- have not tried this.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am

ncarrol

Postby maryseb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:39 am

Thanks a lot for the link (sorry for the delay!). That solves all the problems and in fact in was so easy .
I also tried the XO Flashcard exchange. It works perfectly.
maryseb

Postby harris » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:22 am

How can you use XO Flashcard to share a game created with memorize activity?
can any one help me how can i do this?
please help me.
harris

Postby ncarrol » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:39 am

Yes
There is a site for sharing Memorize games such as flashcards : http://xoshare.org/card .
There are instructions (left side) on the website.
You can upload / download games to share. The instructions include the method of emailing Memorize games by copying to USB drive and emailing from a PC.

You can also share the Memorize games with an XO next to you or if you set your "mesh server" (Control Panel>Network) to an active "jabber" server then you can share with an XO on the other side of the world if you . See :

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers

Have fun !
ncarrol

Return to Activities / Software