VLC

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

VLC

Postby Elleme » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 am

I've searched and read,could be I'm just getting tired, but I have been trying to install VLC, and after moving thru preliminaries I wind up with the following error message:

bash-3.2# yum install vlc
olpc-joyride | 163 kB 00:01
http://mock.laptop.org/repos/local.8.2/ ... repomd.xml: [Errno -1] Error importing repomd.xml for olpc-joyride: Damaged repomd.xml file
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: olpc-joyride. Please verify its path and try again

I do not understand what to do with this. Any help would be appreciated.
Elleme

Re: VLC

Postby kimtoufectis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:26 pm

I ran into a similar problem. Don't know for certain what was wrong, I suspect that a weak wifi connection interfered with downloads. I took it to a coffee-house with a good strong wifi signal and repeated the last step in the installation process (as root, "yum install vlc") and the installation was successful. No guarantees but give it a try...

Good luck!
kimtoufectis

Postby Elleme » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:27 pm

I have currently upgraded to the latest system build.

Successfully installed Pidgin - perfect!
Successfully installed Adobe Flash - woah!
Successfully installed Sunbird - YAY!

What exactly does VLC do for me? My XO is running so smoothly I need to be clear on the gain.

Thank you for the reply, am looking into wifi connect.
Elleme

Almost VLC!

Postby Elleme » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48 am

VLC is now running!

Transfered a song from my iTunes library to usb to sd! Music!!

I can't figure out how to quit the program. If I use ctrl Q, the icon stays in the frame (running in the background? I don't know.
If I go to terminal,type vlc to start it up - a second icon appears in the frame etc.

The adventurer needs a compass - :?:
Elleme

Postby stevenkan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 pm

VLC definitely could benefit from being Sugarized. I am not a programmer, so I can't help on that side of things, but I would gladly donate a few dollars to help someone out if there's Sugarizing project out there somewhere.
stevenkan

Postby manymny » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:06 am

tacking on to your post, but it's directly related - i would love to know how to remove non-sugarized applications from the frame. i think i've managed a couple times, usually the icon stays when the process has completely ended. the frame only holds a small total number of icons, yes?

it would be great if there were left/right buttons like there are for tabs in the "sucrose" term activity- not as a new interface, just as an alternative to more than 7 activities making an 8th "invisible."
teachers that continue teaching should be expected to continue learning; it's an absurdity to have 19th century expectations of 21st century educators. granted they shouldn't have their time wasted (more than students,) or be paid insulting salary.
manymny

Postby superimposedmedia » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Realizing your post is from a while back, control-X should kill VLC in version 0.8.5. I show control-Q in version 0.9.9. I haven't loaded it on an OLPC yet but those are the commands for my PC versions.
I'm currently configuring three xos, two for my nieces and one for myself.
myspace.com/superimposedmedia
superimposedmedia

Postby manymny » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

superimposedmedia wrote:I haven't loaded it on an OLPC yet but those are the commands for my PC versions.

no problem there, there are many ways to close the program. the problem is that in sugar it often leaves behind circle icons when you do close it, then there's no way to make the icons go away. i've since found that logging out and logging in (or in xo-1 talk: restart sugar) takes care of the icons. (you'll want to close all your activities first.) if you're using soas on a livecd (long time to start up) you can just restart x with the keys you'd use on any other linux distro... not that you should unless you know the risks.
teachers that continue teaching should be expected to continue learning; it's an absurdity to have 19th century expectations of 21st century educators. granted they shouldn't have their time wasted (more than students,) or be paid insulting salary.
manymny

Postby superimposedmedia » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:15 pm

I decided to try out VLC 0.8.4 via Wine and it works. The biggest problem is the serious lack of available memory resources.
I'm currently configuring three xos, two for my nieces and one for myself.
myspace.com/superimposedmedia
superimposedmedia

Postby manymny » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:23 am

superimposedmedia wrote:I decided to try out VLC 0.8.4 via Wine and it works. The biggest problem is the serious lack of available memory resources.

if people like wine they should use it, however in my experience, vlc in wine is a hacky solution (i'd use one or the other, but not both) and you can't expect efficiency from that. to me the "only" way to run vlc (in sugar or anywhere else) is to run a native gnu/linux version of vlc. (if wine+vlc is truly satisfactory there's no reason not to do it.) i think there used to be a way to do that in sugar, i'm not sure it still works for everyone? in which case i'm sure it will be possible again in the future.

i think i've used an ubuntu version (at least a couple years old) of vlc in sugar, which is fine, but not much more ideal (using semi-compatible versions never is ideal, nor often recommended) than wine+vlc. the performance was as good as could be expected, almost certainly better than using it under wine.

the last time i tried setting up vlc that way in sugar it didn't work, as there was probably some minor difference between what i did the first time and what i did most recently. vlc is a great player, the only one i'd recommend to everybody, although personally i'd rather use a minimalist version of mplayer. have you tried the less than perfect mplayer activity? (it seems about as good as any graphical implementation of mplayer.)
manymny

Return to Activities / Software