Total failure playing movie files from SD card :(

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

Total failure playing movie files from SD card :(

Postby stevenkan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:19 am

I'm trying to get our 1st-gen G1G1 XO to play videos ripped from DVD. I've ripped them to resolutions as low as 320x128, and I can't get them to play reliably.

I installed VLC, and it will play the files, but after 10-15 seconds the video will freeze. The audio will continue playing, but the video is frozen. After 10-15 more seconds the video will start moving again, but it will look like a Pointillist painting. Stopping and starting the video will sometimes restore normal display, but not always.

I then installed mplayer. It exhibits the same problem. I then suspected the SD card, but another card with the same file does the same thing.

I tried another rip to another resolution, and it does the same thing.

I tried to install the Watch and Listen activity, but it won't launch. I get the throbbing icon for 10-15 seconds, and then it goes back to the Home screen, with the triangle icon under the XO icon. e.g. the same symptoms as reported here. I also didn't remove /etc/olpc-security.

Any hypotheses as to what might be causing this?
stevenkan

Re: Mplayer.xo bundle working under Build 767/8.20?

Postby stevenkan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Hmm. I had installed the unsugared version of mplayer from the console.

Now I see that an [urlhttp://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/All#Media.2C_Audio_.26_Video_Players]MPlayer bundle[/url] is available.

I installed it, but it also fails to launch (same error as Watch and Listen generates, as listed above).

Has anyone else here tried this bundle with Build 767/8.20? Does it work? Are there known bugs or incompatibilities or tricks to get it working?

Thanks!
stevenkan

Re: Total failure playing movie files from SD card :(

Postby esmiwuals » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:06 pm

yum install gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-ugly.
open totem in terminal, find your files and hit play
thats all for starters
esmiwuals

Re: Total failure playing movie files from SD card :(

Postby ileslie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 pm

I use mplayer and movie resolutions @ low as 320x128. My build is 767. I would sometime have issues, and resolved by making sure that none of the movies loaded onto the SD card were fragmented. Sometimes this meant totally reformatting card then loading movies onto the card one at a time. I use a 16 Gig SD card in my XO and this method works great. Sometimes when I exit mplayer after playing a movie, I do get the msg that "This system is too slow to play movie", but I never see any performance issues in the movies played and so just disregard the message. They always look & sound great.

Good Luck!
ileslie

Return to Activities / Software