File Manager

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

File Manager

Postby physchem » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:28 am

Is there a file manager that runs on the XO, like the one in Windows (now called My Computer)? I could use Linux commands, as I used to use DOS commands. But the Windows file manager is much easier, gives a lot of information about the files, and makes it easy to move files or remove them. I've seen other versions of Linux with file managers, and perhaps one of them works on the XO.
physchem

Re: File Manager

Postby culseg » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:03 pm

If you are use to DOS commands, you may like Midnight Commander which is easily installed on the XO.

See:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Midnight_Commander

There are other solutions depending on how much you are customizing on your XO.
culseg
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Remember that if you are using the XO with Sugar, most Sugar apps use the Journal.

On the other hand, if you are using the XO for its hardware and using another window manager, (like XFCE), then you might be interested in Thunar.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby physchem » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Midnight Commander should work for me. My computer experience goes back to the first time-sharing system that was developed at Dartmouth U. It used a teletype interface at 10 characters per second, and a set of commands that later turned up in the early Apple computers. A user had a total of 32 kB of memory to work in.

I got an early PC clone from Columbia Computer. Anybody else remember them? It was a great machine for its time, but the company priced it too low and didn't last long. The Norton utilities were a must have.

I'm not against using dos or linux commands, but I'd rather use something easier. I practice "creative laziness".
physchem

Postby elijaheac » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:15 am

I just found this post and want more info on a file manager that lets you browse your WHOLE hard drive that isnt a command line. :)

--Elijah
elijaheac

Postby manymny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:51 pm

if you can get the terminal activity running, click the "tab" setting and the term icon labeled "become root."

then enter: yum install pcmanfm

when asked [y/n] enter: y

when done enter: exit
(to stop being root)

now enter: pcmanfm

usually you should not browse your files as root, it's for your protection and the protection of the system.

to see your entire system, run pcmanfm as root (at your own risk) instead of as the typical user.
manymny

Postby elijaheac » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:53 am

I tried to install it but it returned:

Excluding Packages from Fedora 9 - i386 - Updates Newkey
Finished
Excluding Packages from Fedora 9 - i386
Error: SQL logic error or missing database

What's Wrong?

--Elijaheac
elijaheac

Postby manymny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:54 pm

i don't know, i'm sorry. i use the latest version of soas, this should not be different for you than it is for me. nonetheless, no two installs are identical (unless they're new) and we're actually using different versions.

the method i just outlined, if followed, should allow you to install a file manager. pcmanfm is very simple and doesn't use a lot of resources, so it's ideal for soas and perhaps even the xo-1.

i first tried xfe, (it is similar to pcmanfm, it's actually a little nicer) but i was unable to install it, hence i recommended pcmanfm instead.

the question is, what file managers are in the repository? when a better graphical file manager is found, you should be able to install that instead of pcmanfm. it's possible that you would be able to run pcmanfm anyway, have you tried it?
manymny

Postby roystonlodge » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:38 pm

First, I tried using mucommander after installing java via YUM. But mucommander froze when I tried to launch it.

Next, I tried installing emelfm2 via YUM. It installed properly, and it seems to integrate well with Sugar. For what it's worth, I'd recommend it for those who want to add a lightweight file manager to Sugar.
MY COLLECTION: OLPC XO-1/DebXO/LXDE
Mac Mini G4 1.25/OSX 10.4 | HP dv6000/Windows XP
Compaq e500/Damn Small Linux | Various old laptops/Debian/LXDE
roystonlodge

Postby mrksem454 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 am

Well, With my regards You want to try midnight commander. It's more like Norton Commander than Windows Explorer. Just type "yum install mc" in terminal and start the application with "mc".
mrksem454

Return to Activities / Software