An activity to make activities?

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

An activity to make activities?

Postby menon.samir » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I know that one of the Sugar Learning Platforms main ideas is creation.

So why is it so hard to write an activity? To me, the platform is a chance to show kids some programming. Then why is it so hard to write an activity? If a kid has some python code, they can't share it with their friend as an activity. They instead have to use the develop app and create 9000 sub-directories and other junk, when all they want to do is run that little random number generator. So I was wondering if their is a current or work-in-progress activity that lets kids write activities easily. If not, is there any easier way to write activities, say writing it in a gui, then porting it to the .xo format?

I really think kids (Me, lol) would love to show their friends that they made an actual activity that does stuff. It would be FAN-TAS-TIC! :mrgreen:
menon.samir

Re: An activity to make activities?

Postby peterjerry2010 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm

've tried both versions available (for 7.x and 8.x builds), and both have similar errors. Here's my software version info:

Build: 201 customized
Sugar: 0.84.2
Firmware: Q3A33
Wireless Firmware: 9.70.7.p0

Please help!
peterjerry2010

Re: An activity to make activities?

Postby djhbrown » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 pm

yes indeed, an activity to make a new activity (or add one from a different environment such as ubuntu software centre) without having to first become a programmer is maybe the single most desirable thing a computer for education could offer.

how could this be achieved?

one way (if you have internet) is by bookmarking a site someone else made for you that contains java applets; see for example
http://www.chemcollective.org/applets/vlab.php

that particular one is maybe uni-level, but there must be tons of primary-level applets out there
djhbrown

Return to Activities / Software