aborting activities

Talk about how to use and get the most out of Activities for the XO.

aborting activities

Postby tdang » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:58 pm

I have something which I've tried to open in Write, from the journal. I'm not sure why, but Write never finishes starting. It keeps pulsing in the Home view.

This made me realize that there's no extra/external way to kill an activity. While Write was pulsing, I couldn't stop it, so all I can do is leave it there until I'm ready to reboot. I expect there will be other circumstances where I'd want to kill an Activity, also.

Anyway, I suppose this is a feature request.

-Timothy
tdang

Postby franco » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am

I haven't tried this yet (and I can't duplicate it), but I would open a Terminal activity window and go to root and see if the process is running. Then kill it. If you are not familiar enough with linux, do what you are currently doing. If it is annoying, the XO thankfully reboots quickly.
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby tdang » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:48 am

I didn't try killing it from the command line. If I see something similar again (when I get my XO's back), I will try that to see how it goes. I wonder, for instance, if Sugar would recognize that the process has been killed and remove the icon?

In any case, this message was less about my specific problem, and more about something which I think is needed. I'm not against people going to the command line, but I don't think they should be required to do so in order to make Sugar and Sugar activities work.

-Timothy
tdang

Postby franco » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:32 am

tdang, You are absolutely right. There very well may be a keyboard or other non-Terminal method of killing a stuck activity, so I hope someone else sees the post and gives a real answer. It is annoying to have to open Terminal just to do this.
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Similar problem with Xaos

Postby Paul » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:39 pm

I have had a similar experience with the Xaos bundle. I was able to download and install it fine. When I click on the icon to run it the program starts and runs fine. When I quite from the program it quits fine but the little Mandelbrot icon is still pulsing in the activity circle. It does not stop. I check the log in the log activity and it had the text ~"Thank you for using Xaos". I am able to run Xaos from the command line too and it appears to finish normally with the same little text message.

When I hover over the Xaos icon long after the activity finished it says, "Starting...".

I understand that I can remove it by restarting the xserver but I would rather it just go away when the program finished.

Any suggestions about what it is failing to do?

Thanks!

Paul
Paul

Return to Activities / Software