getting xs running

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

getting xs running

Postby Yogi2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:20 am

I am experimentally trying to set up my own school server using and old PC and a Netgear Wifi router. I admit I am completely bewildered by most of the documentation about what it should do and how you make it do it. So far I seem to have it going in as much as it appears to offer an uncensored internet service to an OLPC (or any other laptop for that matter) but AFAICS not a lot else. I am trying to follow 'Initial Configuration' instructions from http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software. I edited a line in /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config to be:

HOSTNAME=schoolserver.kempuschool.net

Is this OK or is 'example' to be taken literally?

however, if ever i try: service ejabberd start

I get Hostname=unknown host
and then OK but the erlang node crashes out soon afterwards. This means that if I type:
ejabberdctl register admin schoolserver.kempuschool.net admin
I get:
hostname: Unknown host
RPC failed on the node ejabberd@@schoolserver : nodedown

There are various crash reports, but the clearest (to me) seems to be in /var/log/ejabberd/sasl.log

CRASH REPORT
exception exit: {bad_return,{{ejabberd_app,start,[normal,[]}.,
{'EXIT',"Error reading Mnesia database"}}}

AFAICS I should yet have a Mnesia database, and if I have I cannot find it.

I am lost as what to do.
Yogi2

Re: getting xs running

Postby ncarrol » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Looking at the server lists posts may be helpful for properly naming the school server:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/

I do not have the specific reference, but has been discussed several times in the last several months.

As to the ejabberd problem, this was my solution for an installation of ejabberd:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Installing_ejabberd

The issue appears to be in setting up the /etc/hosts file correctly ( which should be done by the school server installation).

I realize that this is general, but the references may be helpful.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:30 pm

ncarrol

Postby Yogi2 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks for all that. (:-)). I have so far managed to get rid of 'hostname: unkown host' (hostname -f & dig work correctly) but the erlang node still crashes. I will post again if I succeed or get completely stuck again.
Yogi2

Postby ncarrol » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 pm

What do you mean "the Erlang node crashes"?

The ejabberd nodedown means that the "node" name you supplied can not be found. This usually means that the domain name has not been set to what you are typing in the command. The XS installation instructions emphasize that the domain name must must set immediately after installation. The next step, the network configuration script , defines the schoolserver.domainname . The server-devel February reference (with its thread) describes how to clear parameters associated with a messed up domain name.

Mnesia is just the built in database supplied with ejabberd for managing the user accounts. Alternately your supplied SQL database can be used.

Ejabberd can be started and stopped using: /etc/init.d/ejabberd start or stop. (Fedora 7)
On some OS's, this is preferred (or manditory) rather than: /etc/sbin/ejabberdctl start
If you know your server name , then try the form given in the "Talk" reference:
/etc/sbin/ejabberdctl ejabberd@servername status (for example, to see status)
The servername may be your hostname.

The above should give you a way to checkout ejabberd, separate from XS supplied paths.
Your /var/log/ejabberd/sasl.log and ejabberd.log are useful.
ncarrol

Return to Networking / Internet