Keyboard Problem

Discuss peripherals for the XO and power management.

Keyboard Problem

Postby n1ura » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:26 pm

When I upgraded to build 703 the keyboard started to develop a mind of its own. Is this a common problem with 703 or am I just the lucky person who it affected?? I try to type, but sometimes the characters will not show up and sometimes different programs pop up when they shouldn't! Where do I go from here???

Thank you
n1ura

Re: Keyboard Problem

Postby jakeosx » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:27 pm

you might have a stuck key, that is (unfortunatly) a problem. One option is to update to 8.2 and check to see if that fixes the issue.
jakeosx

Postby gamemaniac » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 am

I agree with jakeosx. If still the problem persists then you might have to go for a keyboard repair or install a new keyboard.
gamemaniac

Postby hazardweb » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:39 am

Some of the keyboard has manufacturing defects, try to replace new one.
hazardweb

Postby domenikmaier » Tue May 18, 2010 5:03 am

Hi,

Can anyone offer any ideas to my problem. Sometimes when I am using the keyboard letters get missed out. For instance in the he sentance before the S in sometimes did not type nd the the space between for an instance in this sentance was missing. There is no patter to the errors.
domenikmaier

Postby ncarrol » Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am

You have a "stuck" key. The key is not fully stuck, but occasionally kicks in. The most likely key is the "alt", "shift", or "ctrl" on the left side of the keyboard. For example, if "alt" is present at the same time , then a non printing code gets entered.

You could also just not be pressing the key hard enough. :roll:

The "sticking" key is a well known problem. Dimples under the key cover cause a capacitance change that is detected as keystroke. The sealing silicon rubber around the edge sometimes overflows slightly into the key area during manufacturing. This is intermittently detected as a capacitance change and hence a keystroke.

I had one such problem with the "alt" key. It started with an occasional miss and then got worse. If a letter did not appear during typing, I would tap the "alt" key several times and then type the desired key again.

My solution was to disassemble and clean off the excess sealant.

One solution reported for maginal cases is warming with a hair dryer (NOT HEATING) the offending key while holding edge next to the key downward (lower edge for "alt" or left edge for "ctrl").
This is very "tricky" and you can make the problem worse.

The ultimate solution is to replace the keyboard -- $18 from ilovemyxo.com .
ncarrol

Postby prabashwari » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:45 am

n1ura wrote:When I upgraded to build 703 the keyboard started to develop a mind of its own. Is this a common problem with 703 or am I just the lucky person who it affected?? I try to type, but sometimes the characters will not show up and sometimes different programs pop up when they shouldn't! Where do I go from here???

Thank you

Welll there could be viruses even for XOs but there seems to be a some malfunction in a key. Try cleaning your keyboard
prabashwari

Return to Hardware